Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siegel2

Blue Ginger (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora)

siegel2
15 years ago

Not in the ginger family at all, but does real well here in southern California in protected areas. I have some in the ground and in pots.

Any other growers?

Comments (11)

• bihai
    15 years ago

Love this plant, have had it in the ground for about 15 years. Gets about 8-10 ft tall here but leans and grows in and out of the Mexican Fan Palms, looks almost like a vine in that situation.

• bahia
    15 years ago

I used to grow this, wanting to see those incredible flowers. It grew well enough here in Berkeley, but it was a shy bloomer, probably the lack of significant summer heat. I ended up getting rid of it, as it took up a lot of space for no blooms, and wasn't exactly drought tolerant either. It also tended to get frost damage right at 32F, so it is a bit tender for our conditions, where we often flirt with freezing at least once or twice each winter.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I grow it here in Raleigh NC. Mine blooms every year but other gardeners that see it in my yard often complain that theirs doesn't bloom. I grow it in pots that I overwinter in a cool hoophouse (kept above freezing) and sometimes in the house as a houseplant. Very easy to propagate from cuttings.

• KarenMN
    15 years ago

Have a large one that looks healthy, grows well but have not been able to bloom it. Any ideas?

Would much appreciate any advice. Have been waiting for those blooms.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I love it. I have that one and the pendulous variety, Dichorisandra pendula. The pendula seems to bloom better for me but mine are container grown and stuck in the greenhouse Oct- May.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I got one this spring, it grew huge and made some offsets but didn't bloom at all. Prob too late this year, it better do something next year..
    Do they do better when its rootbound?

• siegel2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Both my potted and in ground Blue Gingers bloomed much more heavily the second year.

15 years ago

Okay good , I will hope for next year then :)

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

sultry jasmine night

Is your blue ginger potted or not.
    I have a home in Florida but am there only half a year

Some things make it under these conditions others do not
    I have a piece of the blue ginger growing from a cutting up here in Canada.

I was so pleased to see the gorgeous photos Thanks

I saw it in bloom, the plant, that is at the Botanical Gardens in Montreal, Canada This summer

It was so gorgeous. My cutting is rooted and okay Will see how it overwinters up here in Canada in my solarium room

But I would love to try it in Florida.

Would you suggest I pot it or probably put it in the ground to try.

• venezuela
    15 years ago

Gary, is yours growing in shade? down here they are generally grown in shade and they do fine but the ones in half day or more of sun are sturdier plants with stronger canes and thicker heads which bloom better. The leaves may be a bit on the yellow side though.

15 years ago

Hi Diane, Mine is potted. I put it in a larger pot right after I got it and the plant grew alot and put up a side shoot but didn't bloom. I'm guessing that is probably the reason. Next year I will let it get more rootbound. It gets morning sun and filtered afternoon light.