Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about my pineapple plant

Posted by mersiepoo 6a Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 08 at 22:52

Hi!
I have a pineapple that I had grown from the crown (supermarket pineapple). It seemed to do pretty good for about a year or so, then I repotted it. Now it seems to not like it's new home..the lower leaves are turning a little yellowish brownish and it seems like it's not happy. Am I not watering it enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about my pineapple plant

Mine grow best in full sun, frequent watering but real good drainage. Protect from frost.

o

It may be that I haven't been watering it enough, I have it in a terra cotta pot. I used to have it in a plastic one..so maybe I need to water it more. Thanks! :D

o

If it dies, you can drive down here as Lowes in Easton, Md has pineapple plants in fruit some times. Its a long drive but as our economy gets worse, Its worth it for fruit:D

o

Here in Southern California, I grow about 8-10 pineapple plants in full sun in plastic pots in regular potting soil. They are kept evenly moist. It's a bromeliad.
The plants seem to survive our winters (we do get occasional frost) and leaf tips burn. But I get fruit every year. The plants get pretty big. They throw off pups and I cut them off and repot them. Once the main plant fruits, it dies back. But there are always pups to take its place. I used to have them in clay pots, but it dried out too fast. So I use plastic pots, with good drainage.

o

Make sure the soil has a pH from 4.5-5.5, and drains nicely.

And feed it. lol

o

i grow pineapples in part shade in the ground in south florida
there is always some lower leaves that decline as the plant matures,i have always known them to be somewhat drought tolerant but need allot more water (and nitrogen) when fruit set.they are quite hardy for the most part and do come back from major shock, but that might be different added in with cold weather in PA. don't over water and keep a well drained soil medium and obviously keep from freezing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here