Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee Trees Suffering from Chlorosis, help?

Posted by abingenui none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 22:55

So I have eight or so coffee trees in clay pots, currently indoors in a west facing window. They have some supplementary lighting for when the days grow short (zone 6). They were doing fantastic all summer long with dark green growth, however I have come to a point where all of them are exhibiting signs of chlorosis. The worst case has its image uploaded. The soil is slightly acidic; I use a potting mix of peat and cactus soil. I water as frequently as the soil becomes dry. Everything points to an iron deficiency, but I hear that soils are typically naturally rich in iron.

Help? Ideas? I'd hate to see my coffee army slowly wither and die.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee Trees Suffering from Chlorosis, help?

that is an iron deficiency. coffee trees pull nutrients out of potting mix rapidly. I had a similar problem.search for coffee tree nutrient deficiency pics. T^he College of tropical agriculture at the university of hawaii has lots on growing coffee. Jim. PS, looking at the picture closer, leaves right center appear to be bronzing on the edges, that shows they need calcium. Use gypsum, not lime as it won't raise the ph.Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here