Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

planting castor beans

v1rt
15 years ago

I received all my castor bean seeds today. I will plant them next year. I'm actually preparing where I should plant them. I was thinking to plant them beside the house. However, how close to the outside wall from the main trunk? 10"? 1 ft?

Also, how do I distinquish which seed is for green foliage since I also bought seed that has maroon foliage?

Thanks!

Neil

Comments (5)

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to include the image. The seller separated it for me. However, I don't see any difference at all. :(

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Nice pics.

It is hard to tell the seeds apart from diff. varieties. The plain green castors are IMHo larger seeds than New Zealand. I've grown other types but these are my favorites.

I used to plant indoors in early spring. Then I transplanted out after frost.
    It took a while for them to recover from transplant shock. I noticed the self sown and self grown ones ( almost always green) ended up catching up to the indoors ones.

This year I planted them all outside (seed) in situ.( no transplanting) in some places they are extremely tall, in others only 3-4 ft. I was pleased. I'm DONE growing them inside. Two less flats to water.

As for your planting near a wall. They are at least 3 ft on any side from the main stalk. PLant 3 ft away from the building.

FWIW-Pics of them in my garden albums here in zone 5. The yardstick is a 4 footer. look close for it- these are over 8ft now. Green one pictured a few pics back.
    {{gwi:1318502}}

karen

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is beautiful!!! I can't believe that they would grow that tall. Is that coming from one trunk? Or are they 3 separate castor bs plants?

• Boca_Joe(zone 7b) southern Delaware
    15 years ago

Neil,

You can plant them right up against the wall if you want. They will grow out with no problem. They do not have roots that will bother anything. I pack 'em in wherever I want them.

Boca Joe

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome Joe!!! :)