Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
indoor, 20 foot, low light plant

Posted by antbeez6 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 08 at 1:32

I have a space that I would like to fill in the house. It is roughly 20 feet tall, 4-5 feet wide and deep, and it has low light levels. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: indoor, 20 foot, low light plant

Dracaenae "cornplant" or "Janet Craig". Or Ficus lyrata,F.elastica.I've seen them all that tall-and with the top leaves coated in dust as unreachable....

o

Thanks for your reply. Any others?

o

One idea is a moss filled wire pole( a tree trunk look) and Philodendron vine. I have had them grow that much under brighter than average window light-but not that intense as a skylight or room with multiple windows.It still grew fast.

o

Thats an idea. I was looking at some sort of aroid that had big, velvety leaves, but I don't know much about it/them and the different varieties. I have a variegated monstera, but it is probably too slow growing for me to tolerate the sarcastic remarks on a beautiful moss pole. I thought about timor black bamboo (is it bambusa lako?). The contrast of the black culms with the green foliage would look nice, but after I spent the $ for the monstera....anyway, I don't know much about bamboo as it is. The space in question is white walls with orange-ish (?) hardwood floors next to a black piano and a blue leather chair. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks for the help.

o

True bamboo will not grow indoors. You would waste your money and time finding that out. If you like that look,then one of the Chaemedorea palm species that grow large could work. Something Like C. tepejilote can grow huge. Those are the kind of plants you would have to search online for and most likely growth would take years and years to equal the Ficus and Philodendrons indoors.

o

try the moss pole with swiss cheese plant growing up it. it will definitely grow up to fill the space, and it has relatively large leaves since you mentioned that you like aroids. do a google search on it since i don't have any photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here