Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guesses as to where this garden is?

Posted by bahia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 1:55

I like to create garden scenes that transport one to another world, or to pretend one is in a tropical resort somewhere. This garden I designed had the benefit of some large mature plants as backdrop before the patio and fountain were installed. This home as an interesting history, as it was once a speakeasy during the prohibition years, and this garden area was the original front entry and driveway to the house. Any guesses as to where the garden is located?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Tropical Patio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guesses as to where this garden is?

Oakland, CA?

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, Hawa (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 14:25

Uh, you realize your tag for the picture includes the location?

o

Okay San Francisco. It's fun to grow "exotic" plants though. San Francisco's twin in South America is Chile, not Bahia, you naughty boy, and a lot of stuff like fuschias, alstroemeria and sternbergia will do very well there. - Ian.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 13:46

Ian, maybe climate wise you are correct about Chile and San Francisco having more similarities, but look at the things Bahia and San Francisco share: on a peninsula with a huge bay and ocean frontage, each pointed towards their appropriate polar extreme. Very hilly topography with lots of old buildings in certain neighborhoods,(while Salvador's old is several times older than our oldest adobe or Victorian), a reputation as a place for artists, musicians, eccentrics of all flavors to be accepted and appreciated. A reputation as a desired place to live and/or vacation by the rest of the country. Street parties envied throughout the rest of the world, although the San Francisco festivities of our annual Bay to Breakers city-wide foot race, our local Carnival and Halloween certainly pale in comparison to Festas do Largo and Carnaval in Salvador da Bahia de Todos os Santos. San Francisco is also an ethnic mixing pot as is Salvador, just the percentages and mixes are a bit different in both.

So I'll continue in my firm belief that Salvador and San Francisco are sister cities in a fun-house mirror sort of way, and we have little in common culturally with buttoned up cultures such as Chile and Santiago, which geographically and climatically is a better matchup. But this comparison doesn't appeal to my saudades pro Bahia!

o

yes it does take you to some spot in a tropical clime.. beautiful Bahia.... As I always see garden designers in other climates often make tropical gardens more tropical than real ones...at least when the tropics has a long dry season like down here. It is our interpretation of what the tropics is that we create. love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here