Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Is it OK to plant some trees this time of year?

newgen
13 years ago

The local Home Depot has a posted sign that reads " Planting now will allow more time for the roots to acclimate and establish, and give it a head start going into the spring". Does that have any validity or just a sales pitch?

Thanks,

Comments (10)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I would say a little from column A and a little from column B. planting in the fall will not hurt anything as long as its not tropical beyond your zone. then i would wait until spring to give it a good year to establish itself before the next cold.

• bahia
    13 years ago

It does make sense for anything that isn't frost tender. Planting in fall/winter takes advantage of our winter rainfall to minimize the need to hand water, and the tree will put more energy into growing roots rather than top growth in the cooler weather, so it is a win/win situation. For the subtropical things that may suffer from cold, it makes more sense to wait to plant until it warms up again in the spring. On the other hand, if the subtropicals you have in mind are root hardy, or will only drop leaves with frost and not be killed back, it is also safe to plant them in most of coastal California. Cannas would fit into this category, with the tops being lost to a freeze, but the roots are perfectly hardy in much of California, and not harmed by planting now.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have longans, mangoes, starfruits, guavas, cherimoyas, wax jambus, bananas, jujubes growing in ground, and they all seem to handle the cold months OK. I'm looking to add a few more mangoes and lychees to the yard. I think I'm gonna go ahead and plant them.
    Thanks,

• bahia
    13 years ago

Do what you want, but it isn't advised to plant tropicals like Mangoes and Lychees this time of year, even in warmest parts of southern California. What is your hurry? I would suggest that only in very southern Florida or Hawaii would it be best to plant these trees at the beginning of winter.

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, I'm in no hurry, just need something to do. You're causing me to be cautious, which is a good thing, so maybe I'll just leave them in the pots for now.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Newgen, I'm going out and buying trees still at this time. Love it. No crowds to deal with, I can just browse alone without people in the way. Anyways, just got a few citrus this week including a Citrus hystrix, even after that light frost we had, it toasted the banana and plumeria leaves LOL. I just tell myself this Fall, better do it now or never. Because I always hold off on fruit trees and never remember to buy/plant fruit trees when it's the ideal time. Also keep in mind the 1 year guarantee from HD and Lowes...

• newgen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

musaboru: Surprisingly, all my plumerias are doing OK in pots outdoors. The last couple weeks have seen night time temp in the low 30s. I'm with you on the shopping for tropicals during "off peak" season.

• tinym
    13 years ago

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with your post, but is this the right forum to ask about orchids? I couldn't figure out how to post a question anywhere else. :(

• insane_2010
    13 years ago

tinym, below is the link for the orchid forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: orchid forum

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Murray Corman (well known nurseryman from south florida) wrote an article on this subject :-).

Jeff