Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

What I learned about guavas this year

Eggo
18 years ago

This has been an interesting learning experience about guavas this year. I have two different guavas producing fruit right now. A round type. And a more pear shaped pebbly variety. The round guava fruits have not been doing well at all during our cooler nights(and its not even that cool, mostly low 50Fs). Still the fruits have been shrivelling up, drying, getting winkly, dropping and not maturing at all. The other one has no effect at all, and is still hard and appears to be ripening. These are the crunchy varieties. I'm so use to the round ones which I had for years, I always took its inability to handle the cold that well to just being guavas, something normal. The thing is these two plants get the same exact condition. Why? The pebbly ones is grafted onto the round type rootstock. Here's a picture of the fruits, fruited on the exact same tree. But the pebbly ones on the right are handling the cooler nights much better. I shouldn't be but I am quite surprise by the differences on the fruits cool tolerance.

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Eggo, do you grow your guavas in a container or outdoors in the earth?
    How much sun do they get?
    I've a small, 8" or so Pineapple guava growing in a container..It's in a south window, some additional night light, a cool, semi-humid room. Do you consider the guava slow-growing? Do they go dorment in winter? In summer, this plant is placed outside. Thanks, Toni

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Their outdoors in the ground. It gets about 4-5 hours of full sun a day. Then some partial shade and shade. I should have mentioned that they are tropical guavas, Psidium guajava. Pineapple guavas are Feijoa sellowiana. Unfortunately I don't have one of those. They are suppose to be much hardier though. Here's some info on them from CRFG, pineapple guava

• gone_with_the_wind
    18 years ago

Hi , how do you grow guavas from seeds ? Thanx

• sonotaps
    18 years ago

Eggo,

I grow Ruby X guava here in Phoenix on a hot south wall. I really don't have any problem with cold. Some of the leaves turn purplish in winter (not frost damage or anything), but other than that it is totally fine. Grows great.

As I am sure you know, they want all the sun you can give them, and need lots of heat to get ripe. The 4-5 hours of sun doesn't seem like enough to me.

If you are zone 10 on the coast in SoCal (I'm from OC originally) you may not have enough heat to ripen them before you get cool again. The heat will produce the sugars in the fruit too. If you go to Cloudforest Cafe (Norcal coast bulletin board tropical growers) they express their frustration with ripening guavas in their cool coastal climate.

It is intersting the difference you have encountered.

Personally, I don't like 'Bangkok Apple'/white crunchy types. I like the eating and juicing types.

Good luck. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

• jun_
    18 years ago

Eggo, i thought i hated you when i saw your cherimoya pics, but THIS?? j/k! those are beautiful guavas. how big are they, can't really tell from the pics, are they the large softball sized ones?

in my experience, guavas don't mind 50 degrees as long as they get full sun, which there is plenty of in houston. we just need to keep them alive through winter.

• carney
    18 years ago

I have been havng loads of strawberry guavas (red guavas)during the hot summer months. The tree thrives in full sun. They make excellent guava jelly. I would like to trade the baby trees, about 6 inches tall, with anyone who has some heliconia (spelling ?) roots for exhange.

• lbbanana_man
    18 years ago

Hi Eggo,
    You helped me out a while ago to ID my banana trees, also growing in the LBC. I have two guava trees of the same variety as your bumpy ones. Mine will eventually turn yellow, but they never get very soft. This past year I had many that grew to the size of a softball, and the tree routinely requires staking to keep the branches from breaking. The problem is they taste yucky, nothing like a normal guava. I was told some asians treat them like vegetables, and fry them. I have seen Philipino people eating the same guavas like apples while the guavas are green. I haven't tried doing either of those. For me, their highest and best use is letting the kids pick them and throw them. P.S. I saw your pineapple pics - cool!

• journey149
    18 years ago

how many years does it take for guava tree to fruit?

• philfarmer
    17 years ago

I "think" i have a Guava tree.............am in north Florida, it has never had fruit but does bloom, (pink and red) Can anyone post a picture of a tree?

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Philfarmer, I am assuming, North Florida, that you are a zone 8b? I am betting that you have a strawberry or pineapple guava...feijoa guavas, not psidium guajavas. They really like it on the dry side during the warm months... a difficulty for Floridians.

• Lars
    17 years ago

Here's a flower from mine, which was labelled "pineapple guava" when I bought it. I wish I had bought a different type.

Lars

• michsu
    13 years ago

hi, I am interested in getting a "bangkok apple" guava tree. My wife has been wanting one. She said she tasted one in China where it is crunchy and was from Thailand. I'm guessing it is the "bangkok apple" one since it is most commonly found there. Does anyone have a tree (or plant) they can sell me? Thanks. Please tell me sizes/prices that you have.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    10 years ago

I have a guava tree in container at my backyard in Dallas, TX and it is about 3 yrs old. Please see the attached photo. So far i have not seen any fruit !. I have been pruning so that i can put inside my patio during the winter time .
    What should i do to get this tree fruiting? Thanks in advance
    Jimmy

This post was edited by JIMMY_SAYAVONG on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 11:16

• sunny_orchard
    10 years ago

My seedling has 1 fruit by the end of the 3rd summer. The 4th yr gave me about 60 fruits. I didn't know they have to be thin. Until it was too late. Only 1 ripen outside taste great. The rest were bland and ripen inside. I left about 26 and it was still too many. This year I am leaving 19 and thin the rest.

• greenman62
    10 years ago

GUAVA!

Glad i stubled here.

I just tasted my first tree grown guava.
    I didnt think they would be ready yet (i have lots on the tree)

i pulled lightly on some, and a few fell off, so i guess they are ripe.
    They smell very musky, taste OK,
    but the seeds are a pain in the A**

Are these properly ripe, and what type of Guava is it ?

We get torrential rains here (New Orleans), i thought maybe they got TOO much water and dropped early.

Should i "thin"the tree, or is it too late?
    %95 have not fallen yet, these are the first

thanks
    Brad

This post was edited by greenman62 on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 15:04

• lscheurecker
    10 years ago

I purchased two Hong Kong Guava trees and they were shipped from Georgia. Shortly after planting them the leaves dried and turned brown. Is this normal for this time in the season. Do guava trees lose their leaves in the fall.

• sunny_orchard
    10 years ago

That plant looks like it desperately needs water.

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    10 years ago

Looks like it is already dead ..

• JIMMY_SAYAVONG
    10 years ago

Looks like it is already dead ..

• allymarie
    10 years ago

Hello,

I live in South Florida and I'm looking to purchase a guava plant.Can anyone tell me what is a good hardy variety of guava to grow in my zone 10 and where I can purchase one or two? I bought a guava plant from Pine Island Nursery a few years back and they sold me a white variety instead of the pink variety I requested.Eventually I had to take out the guava because it wasn't doing well.

Thanks,
    Allymarie