Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bomareas ("vining Alstromerias") in Bloom in the Bay Area

Posted by mark4321 9b CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 4:56

Bomareas can bloom over much of the year out here. The first three pictures were taken today, and the rest over the last three years.

Bomareas are closely related to Alstroemerias (Peruvian Lilies) except that most are vining. They are from Central and South America, and most are cool growers, from higher elevations. The flowers occur in umbels at the ends of long, twining shoots.

I picked up the first plant three weeks ago at a sale at the San Francisco Botanical Garden (Strybing). It's a variety of Bomarea caldasii that the propagator at Strybing refers to as B. caldasii var. 'Flare':

Bomarea caldasii 'Flare' November 2009
(note that the shoot in the upper right has yet to terminate in flowers, and is still growing)

I believe the above plant is a seedling from a plant that was photographed and listed on the "other" garden forum as Bomarea kalbreyeri.

We had a relative visiting, so we took her to Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden) on Friday. Many things are in bloom, including a number of Bomareas. Many of these plants do not have species IDs, and I don't pretend to know the differences separating Bomarea species.

Here's on growing up a tree (actually a tall stump I think). There is also an Abutilon in the photo.

Photobucket

This yellow Bomarea is often very dramatic at the Arboretum, also growing up a tree stump:

Yellow Bomarea at Strybing Nov. 2 2012

It's easy to miss how huge the umbel is when seen at a distance. It turns out I took a photo of the same plant in bloom earlier in the year:

Yellow Bomarea at Strybing 2012

I suspect, but I'm not positive, that this is the same variety being sold by the online seed vendor Seedhunt as Bomarea cf. Superba (http://www.seedhunt.com/pplist.html)

Across the Bay, at the UC-Botanical Garden in Berkeley are a number of other Bomareas. Here's just one I photographed a couple years ago, which I assume is a variety of Bomarea caldasii:

Bomarea caldasii at UCBG

Finally, here's a plant I picked up in 2009 at Strybing, which I was told is part of the Bomarea edulis/hirtella complex, perhaps closer to Bomarea edulis:

The whole plant growing in a 1 gallon pot:

Bomarea edulis from Strybing 2009

A closeup of some flowers:

Bomarea edulis 2009 from Strybing closeup

From what I understand Bomarea edulis/hirtella might be of particular interest to many since at least some strains of this plant are from lower elevations. Thus, it might be possible to grow the plant in areas that get summer heat and humidity.

I've bought Bomareas at Strybing Arboretum ($15 for 1 gallon plants in bud/bloom) and also at Annie's Annuals ($10 for a small plant--which quickly formed buds). UC-Botanical Garden in Berkeley is another source. Seedhunt also carries several.

Seeds are slow to germinate. Bomarea edulis took almost 6 months, when I tried them. However, all seeds I planted germinated within several days of each other. Fresh seeds are crucial, ideally never dried. I've since read that it helps to remove the red covering (the sarcotesta).

My Bomarea edulis died for reasons that were not clear, but not before producing seeds. At least one of the seedlings (hopefully more) is still out there, and a friend has recently obtained seeds from one of those seedlings. I was commenting to a different friend that I think it's the first time I've seen fresh Bomarea seeds offered on one of the exchange forums:

Here is a link that might be useful: A friend's offer of Bomarea seeds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bomareas ("vining Alstromerias") in Bloom in the Bay Area

I forget to mention Telos bulbs as a source of Bomareas. They sell a number of species. I've never bought anything from them, but they have a great reputation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bomareas at Telos Bulbs

o
RE: Bomareas ("vining Alstromerias") in Bloom in the Bay Area

You are right about these being from cool elevations. I have collected seed from a couple of species in the Venezuelan Andes at between 2000 and 3000 mts elevation but they never come up at lower elevations. There is however a lowland species with pink petals spotted with green and white and browns. My relatives had it in their garden at almost sea level. It is from the coastal mountains. Unfortunately I do not have its species name on hand or a photo. I know I have seen it in one of my books of local flora but do not recall which....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here