Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for Mango Seeds?

Posted by altadenamara SoCal9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 9:01

Does anyone know a reliable seed company that sells mango seeds? I have some grafted mango trees on order, but would also like to try growing a few hard to find varieties from seed, such as Alfonso or White Pirie. The seedlings wouldn't be just like the parents, but might still produce some interesting fruit. So many of the imported mangos are irridated, and probably won't produce viable seeds, even if they were in season now. Or does the seed have to be fresh to germinate? Is there a government ban on imported mango seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for Mango Seeds?

Hi Altadenamara,

Many mangoes can be grown from the pit and come true to type. For the Bowen and Kensington types this is true. If you sprout the mango pit and there are several shoots it will come true to type. Remove the weaker growths while retaining the strongest and plant pit in a pot. Plant out in a warm sheltered position when large enough say a foot or two high. Mangoes seem to fruit when they are fairly young. They can also grow into a large tree in the subtropics but should only be a medium tree in your area as Z9 is cooler. This can be an advantage as a smaller tree is easier to manage and fruit can be picked. I have also observed large mango trees seem to carry very little fruit. In Australia it has been noticed that rain at flowering (late winter) can prevent fruiting because of fungus attacks to the forming fruit.

Regards,

John Driscoll

o

Thanks for your response, John. The only mangos sold here in the local markets with viable pits are the Tommy Atkins variety. and I have a few of those in pots, perhaps as future rootstock. The other varieties in specialty import markets here are irridated to kill pests, by law, but it also kills the "seeds" inside the pits as well. Guess I'll have to settle for just the grafted trees.

o

If you can wait till next summer I will send you some Glen seeds. Glen is DELICIOUS.

o

Vireyafl, thanks so much for your offer. I went to a 99 Ranch Market, and found some mangos there that looked different from the Tommy Atkins mango. One was clearly marked "Ataulfo", and the others were more rounded, chartreuse yellow, but no name was given. According to the website below, Haden, Kent, and Keitt mangos are available from Mexico, Brazil, Ecuador, and Peru. It will be interesting to see if the seeds sprout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consistent supply of mangos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here