Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea Overwintering Outside

Posted by rkrimski z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 9:43

I have three large Bougainvillea in pots which are just too large and heavy for me to overwinter inside. Is it possible to overwinter them outside? I live in Maryland, where it will definitely get below freezing at night. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea Overwintering Outside

Do you have a garage or unheated basement?

o

They won't survive outdoors in your zone - I'm in 8b, and they are iffy here. I put mine in the greenhouse.

o

If you don't have anywhere else to put them then I would keep them inside even if you have to cut the roots and re-pot into smaller pots and most of the vine off. Keep them away from heater vents and cold windows but give them some artificial light. Barely water them. They are pretty tough plants unless they get too much water or not enough light.
I am in a zn 9 but we get some freezes here once in a while that would prob kill mine (I have 11 different kinds of bougies) What I do is plant them out in the summer then in the fall, I run a spade around them, severing the roots very close to the plant. After a few weeks I dig them and put them in 3 gallon pots and cut the vines way back so I can get them into the greenhouse for the winter. They will start growing again during the winter and I can replant them out in the spring.

o

If you don't have anywhere else to put them then I would keep them inside even if you have to cut the roots and re-pot into smaller pots and most of the vine off. Keep them away from heater vents and cold windows but give them some artificial light. Barely water them. They are pretty tough plants unless they get too much water or not enough light.
I am in a zn 9 but we get some freezes here once in a while that would prob kill mine (I have 11 different kinds of bougies) What I do is plant them out in the summer then in the fall, I run a spade around them, severing the roots very close to the plant. After a few weeks I dig them and put them in 3 gallon pots and cut the vines way back so I can get them into the greenhouse for the winter. They will start growing again during the winter and I can replant them out in the spring.

o

o
bougie

gggr what happened? A TRIPLE POST??? crazy I only hit the button once....

o

You could make a make shift cold frame for them--- OOOORRRRRR my favorite option would be christmas lights
LIGHT IT UP BABY that would raise the temp on iffy nights to at least give it a chance and if not youve got some great holiday pots

Also I would pray for a mild winter- who knows? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here