Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Papaya got hit with frost, is it toast?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 12:15

All the leaves are drooping, and the stalks? (or new green shoots that the leaves are on...are all soft & slightly mushy).

what can be done to save it? My GH (IF it ever gets built) would have been where I intended to keep them over the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Papaya got hit with frost, is it toast?

Doesn't sound good I'm afraid. I just took mine in a couple of days ago when I notiticed that some leaves were starting to yellow (but new leaves are fine and trunk is solid). None too soon as last night we had a real frost for the first time. How are the youngest leaves? If the trunk went mushy, it's too late. My mistake was forgetting about an allamanda vine. It froze last night. It's been deceptive because October was soooo warm and the cold came suddenly.--My maple tree leaves are still summer green.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 16:00

So nothing can be done? can it be cut back? maybe the root system is still ok?

will these type of trees come back or are do they grow as annuals only?

only the newest shoots of the tree is mushy...the main trunk part is not.

o

Bring it inside- garage, basement etc, cut it back below the mushy part.
We cut our main trunks down when they get to tall and they always branch for us.
Good luck and hurry with the greenhouse!

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 18:07

Oh my if you only knew the heartache....and the frustration...I'm really trying to get someone to help me with the GH and I think I may have finally found someone!! If I want to pay some $500-$800 they would be lined up.

I just cant justify that...so I'm in begging mode (family, etc) and have made calls to previous workers who might know someone who can help...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here