Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesli8_gw

;( my greenhouse dipped to 40 degrees last night

lesli8
10 years ago

Texas had its coldest night this winter (fall?) last night, tonight will be colder, my greenhouse although I had a radiator style heater in there on wide open, it got down to 40 degrees. I have a greenhouse full of tropicals, are they all going to be toast? I have two large ficus, a fiddle leaf fig, a variegated rubber tree, begonia, orchid in full bloom-2 spikes right now. Ferns of all sorts of ivy's, bromeliads, and so on. Before now I have been successful keeping it at about 60 degrees at night on just 600watts setting half way on the thermostat. But the norther blew in in the morning and got colder all day and was overcast so the sun never warmed it much over 60 during the day. TOday the sun is shining and it is up now to about 60 degrees, and I suspect it will get much warmer.
Nobody has dropped all their leaves yet, but I know it could still happen. My orchid still looks wonderful, but I worry that tomorrow all the blooms may fall off.

I have a 100+ year old house that we heat with a wood stove, that we haven't really burned yet this year. Cold Nights outside = cold nights in my house, so moving very many sensitive things into the house won't do them much good. I do have some clear Christmas lights will those make a difference? I am thinking a woodstove in the greenhouse might not be a terrible idea.

Any ideas for a greenhouse newbie in TX?

DH hasn't gotten electricity hooked up in the greenhouse yet, hopefully soon, so we are running heater on a large electric cord. DH thinks we need a larger one and that it will help the heater work better?

Comments (6)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I use a propane heater for my greenhouse. I am in a zone 9a and have a lot of tropicals (zn 10-11-12 tropicals) that I have to overwinter in the gh. I am afraid to use an extension cord for electric heaters since we had one catch fire that way once when I was a kid (cord overheated).
    I usually only run the heat in my gh if it hits 32 F at night. I do try to keep the gh closed up good during the winter so it will hold its heat and it gets good sun exposure during the day.

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your cold temperatures! I have a fairly small greenhouse here in Indiana and I heat with natural gas. I got my 'furnaces' from Southern Burner and wouldn't trade them for anything. They can run on either natural gas or on a propane tank and require NO electricity. They do have a pilot light, but the thermostat kicks them on without electricity. There have been times when our electricity was out (we are rural) and I would have lost all my plants with any other heater. I have had two furnaces for 9 years and have had no maintenance issues. They resist rusting well. You can buy vented (requires a chiimney) or unvented, which might be fine since you wouldn't use it all the time. Be careful, though, with unvented...some plants like orchids can drop buds badly if you let them breathe too much exhaust!

As far as plant damage, my prediction is you won't have any. I regularly leave all kinds of tropical plants outside until ALMOST the first frost date. A few, like bananas, will show yellowing of the leaves, but only after a week of low temps. Most of my bromeliads will take right down to 32. I can't think of any tropical plants of mine that have ever been hurt with a single drop to 40 degrees.

Hope your plants are all fine...why don't you post in a week or two and let us know? Good luck with your choice of heaters. I would consider propane before I'd have a wood burner in my greenhouse, but that' s a personal choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Burner Greenhouses

• zzackey
    10 years ago

If your house is warmer than 40 degrees at night I would bring the orchid and begonia inside.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I'm in 10 so much different situation but i don't even apply heat until the low 40's . Those in the yard are not even covered until the 30's there are a couple that spend the winter in the sunroom. All the plants you name can tolerate down to frost ,though the orchid might abort the flowers. The BIG difference in most tropical plants is frost .
    Good luck gary

• lesli8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info Gary that does make me feel better. So far most things seem to be unscathed.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I don't start thinking about bringing anything inside until temps are going to go below 40.

"I am thinking a woodstove in the greenhouse might not be a terrible idea." That would make the air really dry & probably too hot. It should be cooler at night than during the daytime.

I wouldn't pay to heat a greenhouse up to 60 degrees. Heck, I don't pay to keep the house that warm some nights. I'd rather throw on some long johns & keep that cash in my pocket. Plants don't mind as long as they are not soggy wet, and never sitting in wet drip saucers.