Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Sprouting Rambutan seed

bananafan
16 years ago

I got hold of a rambutan at the grocery and now I would like to plant the seed. How easy/hard is it to sprout a rambutan seed and how long does it take for it to germinate? Any advice offered is appreciated.

Comments (8)

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

Plant it in peat as soon as you are done eating the fruit. Must stay warm and moist...not wet. Protect from cool temps. Not sure of time to germinate.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ohiojay. I ate it yesterday and planted it just now. Hope it's not too late. I used miracle grow potting soil instead as I ran out of peat. Now it's sitting next to my kitchen sink. I don't think it needs sunlight as yet (at least not until it sprouts) right? We'll see what happens (keeping my fingers crossed).

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I use a mix of coir and sphagnum moss to germinate my rhambutan seeds but have used soil as well. As long as they are fresh they should sprout. I use a seed mat to provide bottom heat.
    Karyn

• bananafan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Karyn for sharing the info. What is a seed mat by the way? Where could I get one?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

A seed mat is like a heating pad used to provide bottom heat for germinating seeds and growing plants.
    Karyn

• bananafan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn,

You wrote,

"I use a mix of coir and sphagnum moss to germinate my rhambutan seeds but have used soil as well. As long as they are fresh they should sprout. I use a seed mat to provide bottom heat."

What's the status of your Rambutan now? How much has it grown since you sprouted it? I've successfully sprouted 4 of them and am really looking forward to see how they will grow. Do you have a picture or two to share?

Bananafan

• karyn1
    15 years ago

My rhambutan along with a number of other tropicals are now in plant heaven. It was probably about 18" tall. I had a power failure in the greenhouse over the winter and many of my really tender plants froze. I wasn't expecting ever to get fruit but they are just fun to grow. I'll have to wait until the Oriental market has more fresh fruit to start some more. What is the rambutan related to? I always thought that it was similar to a lychee or longan but the seed is nothing like those.
    Karyn

• bananafan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karyn,

Sorry to hear about your Rambutan. I'm sure if it wasn't frozen, it would be a bigger plant now. Me too, I don't expect mine to fruit, but I have secretly hoped that it would. I don't want to place too much expectation for now except to watch them grow and having lots of fun with them. I hope you will be able to get some fresh seeds to plant soon. Thanks for posting the update.