Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes_cor

Coffea arabica Culture

kes_cor
18 years ago

I have been growing this coffee plant for about three years. It doesn't seem to do much but loose leafs! Anyone have any success with it? I have it in a gallon container, the leafs curl a bit and there are three branches. I am giving it a Western exposure during the winter months, and outside during the summer with about 6 hours of direct sun.

Comments (18)

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

They are usually fast growers. A 1 gallon pot sounds much too small for a 3 year old plant. They like dappled shade, lots of water (but good drainage) and lots of fertilizer.

Mine are currently in 3-5 gallon pots, under other trees. I will put them in the ground soon.

I haven't had leaf loss with mine. How often are you watering? Do you use any type of "grow-lights" when it is indoors?

I never tried to grow one indoors, so hopefully someone else will speak up.

Lisa

• stressbaby
    18 years ago

I just ordered two plants, so I am interested in this topic. Is there a prefered growing medium? CHC/peat versus plain Promix? SB

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

I was given one in a 10 gallon pot and it has already doubled in size since I got it. I never knew they would grow that fast. I have mine in sun/shade and it must love that spot. I make sure the soil is moist at all times. I hope I will have the pleasure of seeing it bloom and then the coffee beans.

Leona

• redbeard92
    18 years ago

I've one for about 3 or 4 years, bought it as one of those 4" tall $2.99 grocery store plant. It's now about 4' tall and starting to branch.

In the winter it sits in a fairly low light area and has a bit of lower leaf drop. From Late April till mid October it's outside in dappled sun for about 3 hours a day, never in full sun.

It took a full years cycle to really start to grow from its innitial state.

Rob

• stressbaby
    18 years ago

Rob, what growing medium do you use?
    Robert

• redbeard92
    18 years ago

Just regular potting soil + a healthy heaping of perlite.

Rob

• wanna_run_faster
    18 years ago

I think a scoop of peat would help also since they seem to be acid loving. Mine are doing great in indirect sun...they had a heart attack the one time I moved them out to full sun! The ones that didn't die took weeks to recover and regain their healthy glossy look. I've got Arabica, dwarf arabica and kona seedlings coming along! Anyone know of any other varieties or have seed beans?

• labrahamian
    18 years ago

We have about a 7' potted coffee arabica in our covered patio. Very little direct sun (only early morning or late in the afternoon), close to the house for winter protection along with the covered patio, big 30+ gal pot, and monthly feedings of fish emulsion during spring thru early fall, substantial trimming every three years (along with new soil and peat moss). It flowers and fruit regularly, very attractive tree/plant

Lawrence
    Montrose, CA Z9b/SZ21

• stressbaby
    18 years ago

Kes, this link suggests standard potting mix with 1/4 peat, and water with rainwater or treated water, as the plant does not favor an alkaline water.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee culture link

• jgee
    18 years ago

Lisa,
    Here is a link to a picture of my 10 year old 6 foot Kona Coffee tree in fruit. Tried growing it in a South facing sunroom and it never did very much. Tried it out on the sundeck one summer and almost lost it. Moved it to a South facing bright, but very little direct sun, Patio door inside, and it just exploded. It never goes outside any more, stays in the same location 24/7. If you want flowers and fruit add Epson salt, 1 Tablesoon per gallon.
    John

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1318967}}

• jgee
    17 years ago

Looks like that link sailed into Cyberspace. Here it is again:
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/jgee56/Kona%20Coffee/Plants057.jpg

• lucy
    17 years ago

They are not acid loving, and a very little bit of lime in the mix is recommended by growers. They can also take more sun than I think you're giving them credit for. Stay away from peat in the mix if you can, and add lots of grit for fast drainage.

• longwoodgradms
    17 years ago

Coffea arabica DOES actually favor a very slightly acidic soil, just below neutral (range of 7 to 6.5). Their leaf and fruit litter naturally will maintain a soil pH in that range. Coffee will tolerate slight alkalinity, but too much acid or basic in soil will do them in.

Yes, Coffee will take full sun. Here in southern FL, I have 12 plants that get full sun from about 10am-7pm in summer, and they do not burn at all. It is only after prolonged, miserable heat that the leaves will yellow (but not fall). That only happens in late August and into September. The small trees still flower and prodcue fruits just fine.

• gcmastiffs
    17 years ago

Here is one I saw today. 6' tall, 4' wide. Grown in peat/potting soil, in a pot, under a shade tree. It gets light from the East (in the morning) and is mostly shaded after noon.It is in Jupiter, zone 10. Loaded with fat coffee beans.

My own trees are in heavier shade (under Bananas) and have not grown as well as this one has. Mine have not fruited.
    They are in the ground.

Lisa

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Lisa and John, your coffee trees are really gorgous.
    Kes, I'm in a burb sw off Chicago. I too grow a coffee tree..I got it at Jewel's in one of those little 4" pots a few yrs ago on sale for 1.99.
    Placing it outdoors in summer is a good idea..Mine is kept under a tree so it doesn't burn, yet gets enough light to thrive.
    In winter, it's placed directly in an east window, a few feet from a south. Also, some artificial light is hitting it at night.
    Sounds to me like a humidity problem. The best solution is buying a humidfier..SEcond, place your coffee tree atop stones/pebbles, fill w/water..Use a larger saucer under the plant. Third, daily misting.
    Since you're living in Chicago, you know how dark the days have been so a west window should do fine until mid=spring.
    I kept mine out this yr till the end of Oct..For some reason all that rain we got this summer helped my coffee produce leaves. In winter, I keep the soil a bit dryer than summer, but not to the point leaves drop. Good luck, Toni

• gloriajeans
    17 years ago

It's funny you mention coffee trees. We have countless fields of them (since we're a coffee company) and I never even stopped to think how much work it is to grow one.

Maybe some day I will grow my own too :)

Good luck all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Discounted Gourmet Coffee

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

MIne have had their ups and downs, and though I see no signs of pest insects, every once and a while , a considerable number of leaves (the older ones) will yellow and die in quite a dramatic fashion. I'd guess perhaps it's a case of uneven watering perhaps, since the young growth always looks lush and healthy and green, even as some of the older leaves are lost. I sometimes wonder as well, with the seeming very dense spacing of those leaves along the stems, perhaps the leaves might shade themselves out since the lower ones get less light? At any rate, I think mine are basically healthy and they do get good light and lots of humidity, since my house never drops below 50% even in the coldest weather with the furnace running nearly nonstop, and then on goes the humidifier which will maintain closer to 60 humidity! I am more inclined to think they resent being either too wet , or too dry perhaps, and signal so by dropping older leaves!

• costaricafinca
    17 years ago

Pinch off the side leaves near to the trunk for a bushier plant. They like lots of sun. Enjoy some rain.
    Add some Calcium to the soil.
    We used to have a coffeefarm in Turrialba, Costa Rica.