Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eggo_gw

you will hate me for this..

Eggo
18 years ago

but I hope you won't. lol...

A little description of the seeds I've been sending out. Just a picture of some of the fruits from the last 1 1/2 week. There has probably been over 35 lbs in the last week. Fruits have also been dropping like crazy. Some of you will be getting your seeds this week. These are how my fruits look like. They're not the largest variety, most are about 12 oz. to 20 oz. It has an ideal cherimoya tastes but its kind of seedy with a texture that is more reminiscent to sugar apples than some of the commercial cherimoya varieties. This tree does seem to be more cool tolerant than others I have grown though. As of right now its still sending out growth at a good steady rate.

Comments (16)

• ashok_ncal
    18 years ago

Eggo,

If jealousy of someone else's bountiful cherimoya harvest could inspire hatred within me, my hatred would burn hotter than a thousand suns.

Luckily I'm just jealous. But I am very, very jealous! I wish I could reach into the monitor screen and grab those beauties for myself ...

Are those fruits of a named cultivar, and, if so, which cultivar?

• patusho25
    18 years ago

WHAT? >=O LOL

Indeed, they look very interesting (like a fruit which may appear in Alice in Wonderland), unfortunately I just have eaten about 2 cherimoyas in my whole life, I barely rember their flavor, but I am sure they were very tasty.

Eggo: I am not jealous at all (hope to be as jealous as Ashock soon, when I taste one again), in here we still getting fresh local mango (1 kg). Hope there´s still available cherimoya and atemoya when I arrive to California in december; and hope I can find a source!

• maspirasjr
    18 years ago

Arghhh!!! Yes, I do, Eggo, LOL (just kidding). I've come across them here in south Florida, but ironically they are imported from Chile. They retail for quite a bit too- ~$3.99 each.

Marcelo

• patusho25
    18 years ago

Eggo: are you going to sell your cherimoyas somewhere? $4 each? You are rich!!!!!

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Woohoo I am RICH!! Its like green gold.

LOL.

=) I will not be selling my fruits. Not that I can't get some money for it, interesting some of my local Asian groceries consider it a superior fruit to the commercial varieties. Different preference I think. But really its a bad investment for myself. Because I would take that money to buy cherimoyas and lose money somewhere in between, Haha. The fruit is addictive.

Ashok, its a seedling fruit tree. My really wild guess is that it may have been a Booth seedling. It was from years ago when I first tasted the cherimoya from a grocery bought one.

Marcelo, have you tried those Chile cherimoyas. I've never had any imported ones but I haven't heard good things about them. Probably picked too early I guess.

• ohiojay
    18 years ago

Eggo, I tried my first Cherimoya this weekend. Hard to believe but our local grocer actually had these in. In Ohio! First time I've ever seen this fruit in our stores. It would be nice to start getting more exotic fruit shipped in for people to try. Unfortunately, I believe I opened it up too soon. My wife says it should have been more creamy and sweet. Is there a good way to know when one is at it's best? Also, did you plant yours from seed? How long did it take for it to fruit? Thanks! J

• gatrops
    18 years ago

Eggo-WOW!!! That is a beautiful picture. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

• northtexasgirl
    18 years ago

Eggo, congrats!! Oh, if only I was your neighbor--you wouldn't have such a massive harvest. lol Those look absolutely delicious. Central Market here isn't selling them any longer and I'm quite sure my hubby is happy about that as I was $6.99 ea. for them. :) They were worth every penny--love the taste and they taste like nothing I had ever tasted before. Definitely unique. Way to go "Mr. Green Thumbs/Magic Fingers".

Leona

• gooli94
    18 years ago

Any good tips for germinating from seed?
    By the way, they can be found in MOST Asian grocery stores.

• gcmastiffs
    18 years ago

Eggo, those are lovely! I'm jealous, but sure don't hate you! (G)

Funny how the Annonas become so important and fascinating after you eat a good one! I obsess over my trees now, in anticipation of next years fruits.. Mmmmmmm.

Gooli94, I germinate mine in sealed baggies with moistened peat moss. I put the baggies in a warm spot, and they germinate within 2-4 weeks. It is really easy to see the white roots when they are ready to be planted.

Lisa

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jay, when it starts to give like a ripe avocado, its good to go. too ripe, most varieties gets too mushy. And when its ROCK Hard, a good way to tell that its a mature fruit is the slight color change, lighter green, the separation of the surface skin those indented marks(not sure what you call them) should be large. But the best thing is when you shake a mature fruit, the seeds will rattle. Unfortunately, most commercial ones don't get this mature.
    It was grown from seeds. Takes at least 5 years for them to bloom, maybe 4 if your lucky.

Leona, stay out of my yard. LOL. Your more than welcome. check your email soon.

I second Lisa's recommendation. Baggies are one of the best method of sprouting tropical seeds I think.

• kadasuki
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I saw your lovely pictures, but I have never heard of this fruit. What is it similar too? Californians and Floridians are so lucky with their environment. I'd dearly love to be able to grow fruit.
    Kat

• mikevanecek
    18 years ago

My one seedling - a yearling now - did poorly this summer - way too hot - and also got hit by an unexpected frost. Luckily, new buds have formed, so I think it will be salvageable. But durned if they don't grow slow when they're not happy! Mine was a bought seed. I tried a cherimoya from a store, and like most fruit purchased from the store - most or all of which are picked underripe, it was hard to eat and not very tasty. Very disappointing - I am so looking forward for my tree to produce. I've got more seeds sown, but they've not sprouted yet after nearly a month so they may have been unviable. If you have extra seed, send me an email - I'd like to have a backup cherimoya growing. Only one makes me nervous... :)

Cheers,
    Mike

• Eggo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mike, I've had seeds offer on the trade page for a while now. I have plenty of extra seeds. Send me email if your interested. All I need is an SASE.

Kat, cherimoyas well tastes like a cherimoya to me. =)
    I would guess most people have described the tastes as a combination of all sorts of fruit, some pineapple, papaya, mangos or something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherimoya

• Mikey
    18 years ago

That is encouraging to see. I planted a cherimoya about two years ago. It produced some flowers the first year which I left alone as the tree was so young. This year it put on a lot new growth but no flowers. It's now about 9 feet tall. Although I don't look forward to hand pollinating, I do look forward to it producing fruit. We'll see what happens... - Mike

• mel888bellflower_ca
    15 years ago

Eggo,
    It looks so yummy. Need your advise in how to pollinate the flowers? Two consecutive years my cherimoya have only one fruit & all of a sudden it was gone, guess my friend squrrel got it first.

Mel