Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clarescifi

Gloriosa Lily Tuber Question

clarescifi
13 years ago

I'm not sure I'm posting in the right forum, so if there's a better place for this, please let me know?

I have a 3-year-old Gloriosa Lily tuber. The 1st year I planted it directly in my garden (Zone 5 - Salt Lake City), and its foliage was badly eaten up by bugs (no flowers). So I brought it in for the winter and let it go dormant, and then put it in my solarium the following March. It grew like mad indoors and bloomed on Mother's Day. So pretty. Since it ran out of growing space in the solarium, I planted it outside this spring in a pot in an elevated area I thought would be bug-free, but the bugs found it and ate madly (no flowers). Next spring I will definitely keep it in the solarium. When I dug up the tubers this fall, I had 4 instead of just the one, and only one shows an evident sprout, and it is not two-sided as the past tubers were. One tuber (two-sided) had a bit of soft mushiness (black colored) at one tip. So I trimmed it off and put it back in the pot with the others. Is this a bad idea? Will the rot come back and spread to the others? Should I take out the 3 tubers that show no sprout and leave just the one in the pot? All tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. Oh, and my cat tried to pee in the pot so I washed off the tuber pieces before repotting with new soil, just in case the urine had come in contact with the tubers. Do you think washing the tubers was a bad idea? I'd really love to grow this plant again, and if you think I've blown it with these tubers, where is a good place to buy new ones at a good price? Oh, and one of the 4 tubers has little holes at the bottom, almost like an insect bored them or something, but I wasn't sure... Should I remove that tuber to be on the safe side? Thanks for your help. Clare

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!