Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying tropical plant

Posted by DruofSanMarcos none (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 15:59

Hello,
Just joined this site and am an avid amateur gardener,now living at Lake Atitlan in Guatemala part of each year. Click to the gallery to see a photo I posted yesterday of a lovely plant that has showed up in my garden and has reseeded like crazy. The plant stem and flower buds look very much like impatiens, but the leaves seem very different. I'm at a 5000 foot elevation and the weather here rarely drops below 50F nor goes over 85F. Any help on identifying this one? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying tropical plant

Hi. Your link seems to be missing.

o
RE: Help identifying tropical plant

Hi,
I have tropical gardens in Guatemala City and Antigua, Guatemala...both at 5,000 feet; I have two more at Escuintla and Puerto San Jose. I think what you are describing is indeed an indigenous impatiens; especially if it has a red flower. Fotos would help, of course. FYI many gardeners consider the plant a weed; I kinda like it, but I would not intentionally plant one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here