Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zarro_gw

Help with my ZZ Plant

zarro
17 years ago

Hello,

I've had my Zamifolia for over a year now and it's been growing healthy until now.

I noticed the leaves getting yellow very quickly. I usually water once every 2 weeks, so I think that's okay. then when I looked closely I saw really tiny insects in the soil, dark colour and moving fast, they are about 1mm.

Can anyone help with this? What might be the problem?

I love this plant and really would apprciate any help or advice.

Thanks, Marina

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Sorry about your plant. I have no idea what the problem is but you might have better luck if you post in the "Pest & Disease" forum.

• zarro
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I took your advice and hopefully someone in that forum should know

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Zarro, could the bugs be fungus gnats? Are you familiar w/these pests?
    What size pot are you using?
    If your plant is in a big pot and/or heavy black soil, gnats will find their way to your plant.
    Be sure the soil is drying out before watering..(I don't believe in water schedules)
    My plants get watered when soil feels dry. In fact, yellow leaves are an idication of overwatering, too..then again, so is underwatering.
    My ZZ is underpotted, in well-draining soil, and gets watered about once a month..Toni

• zarro
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Toni,

Thanks for your help.
    I have no idea what is fungus gnats. I am using a 14" pot, I originally purchased this in a 10" and re-potted in spring to 14", so it's a very mature plant. They usually run about $300CN per, now you know why it's bothering me this much and I'm also really attached to this one.
    I usually water once every 2 weeks, but now I'll wait till it's dry.

Thanks, Marina

• ascend88_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

hi all,

i just got a new ZZ plant for my house...it has nice big dark green leafs....

but ....after 1 week ..i notice...the tip of the leafs are turning lighter green..and it curling up a bit.

i have only watered it once ..the 1st day i brought it home...

what is happening? pls advise

• flutterby64
    13 years ago

I have several ZZ's and have been growing them for about 2 years. I find they thrive on neglect. I wonder if your plant may be over-watered. I let mine get very dry between waterings.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for ZZ

• gailqld
    13 years ago

Yes, zz plants can go without water for long periods but grow much better with regular watering, they don't yellow off and keep growing strongly. I used to only occasionally water my zz plant but it was always a sickly yellow colour until I read the article on the link below (the author of the website is a well known aroid and tropical expert).
    Now I have mine growing with tropicals such as calatheas and alocasias. My zz plants get watered the same as the other tropical plants - daily in summer (we are in a hot dry area), every couple of days in winter when dry. The zz plants are a healthy deep green, are constantly growing and need repotting a couple of times a year as the pots are so full that they get misshapen - I have also split it up several times so now have 4 or 5 big plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotic Rainforest