Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron8719

Overwatered my Parlor Palm

Ron8719
10 years ago

Hey All,

I'm new (as in, first plant ever) to in-home gardening. I'm starting to enjoy the care and concern required, but I'm afraid I may have overdone it.

My girlfriend bought a parlor palm in a Florida airport gift shop. I planted it in some miracle grow in a small pot and have been watering it every 3 days or so. I've been doing my best not to over water it, but some of the leaves are now browning and 2 of the stalks have literally fallen off.

I'm afraid I may have overwatered it. Is there a plant food or other method that would allow me to save the plant?

Thanks all.

Comments (4)

• ifraser25
    10 years ago

One of the golden rules of pot gardening is: water when it is hot, keep it dry when it is cold, even indoors. Dry it out as fast as possible but keep it out of the sun, then leave alone for a couple of weeks. It won't grow much in winter in USA anyway, so you need to keep your distance!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Do you have a pic to add to this discussion? Losing a leaf or two occasionally is how palm trees get taller, how they make a trunk. No matter how healthy, they can't keep the oldest leaves forever.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

The best way to tell if you're overwatering any plant:

Turn over the pot (after you've extended fingers over the top of it) to let the plant including root ball fall out into your hand. (this may require tapping the edge of the pot on a hard surface to loosen things). If the root ball is soggy and/or smells rank/rotting, you've overwatered and need to lay off for awhile. Then (assuming the soil mix is loose and well-draining) only water after the soil surface has dried out. Don't keep the pot sitting in water.

The good thing about parlor palms - they're cheap and easily replaceable so you can always try again.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

If you're using a chunky, porous, airy soil, root rot is not a concern. MG potting soil is known for its' predominance of tiny particles, which take forever to dry out. This is what overwatering means but it's not your fault. It's the soil holding too much moisture, so the problem is really underdrying.

If there are no tiny particles in a pot, it will dry soooo much faster. People who lose plants because they forget to water would have a hard time with this, (and nothing to fix except to try to remember to water a little more often,) but if you're the more common 'overwatering' type, this can mean the difference between plants that stay alive vs. those that die. I used to kill plants by 'overwatering' too until learning how to fix things through the great info here at GW.

Roots can't survive sitting in soggy, dense, airless soil. To fix that, we need to give them something much more chunky, porous, airy. Many address the problem by adding a significant amount of perlite to bagged potting soils, but that's still not idea because the tiny particles are still there, with no air between them. Ideally, the tiny particles should not be in a pot at all. Dealing with it by 'not overwatering' is done successfully by millions of people, but those who like to water plants often are just going to kill them without a great mix of no tiny particles. Most plants can survive getting too dry once in a while. OTOH, getting soppy wet too often and taking forever to dry out is fatal to most.

I might recommend an alternative source of water other than tap water, such as rain, melted snow, condensate from dehumidifier or A/C, distilled. It makes a huge difference if tap water is making a plant visibly ill (which it usually does over time.) Yellow, chlorotic leaves are not attractive.

Another good thing about parlor palms is that they will put up with about any indoor conditions that humans can tolerate and are very long-lived plants.

This info may be helpful.