Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Tetrapanax - Rice Paper Plant

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Does anyone else grow this plant? I am risking it in zone 7a, although Tony Avent says its hardy to 7b. Well, HIS plant anyway.

Actually, I bought one from PD and planted the poor little thing. It was dormant when I got it, and took forever to start developing foliage. By the end of summer it had about 5 leaves, with the largest about 5".

At my local herb festival, a lady was selling small ones in 4" pots. Very healthy looking - $3.00 a plant. Wow! Of course, I bought one, and brought it home and planted it with virtually the same exposure. That one grew and grew and then it grew some more. The leaves are now about 18" across and it's still bright green, even with temps having been in the 20s and 30s here. The PD plant has gone dormant already.

I'm wondering if the plant I got at the herb festival is 'Steroidal Giant'. I mean, it really took off and is HUGE compared to the PD plant.

What do you all think? Should I post somewhere else? I didn't know whether it is considered a tropical or not.

Susan

Comments (4)