Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tetrapanax - Rice Paper Plant

Posted by susanlynne48 z7a-OKC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 28, 05 at 18:43

Does anyone else grow this plant? I am risking it in zone 7a, although Tony Avent says its hardy to 7b. Well, HIS plant anyway.

Actually, I bought one from PD and planted the poor little thing. It was dormant when I got it, and took forever to start developing foliage. By the end of summer it had about 5 leaves, with the largest about 5".

At my local herb festival, a lady was selling small ones in 4" pots. Very healthy looking - $3.00 a plant. Wow! Of course, I bought one, and brought it home and planted it with virtually the same exposure. That one grew and grew and then it grew some more. The leaves are now about 18" across and it's still bright green, even with temps having been in the 20s and 30s here. The PD plant has gone dormant already.

I'm wondering if the plant I got at the herb festival is 'Steroidal Giant'. I mean, it really took off and is HUGE compared to the PD plant.

What do you all think? Should I post somewhere else? I didn't know whether it is considered a tropical or not.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tetrapanax - Rice Paper Plant

• Posted by Bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 28, 05 at 21:28

Tetrapanax went through a period of intense popularity in this neck of the woods about 5-6 years ago, then virtually disappeared from view. No one here sells it. There are a few stands here and there which have gotten out of control on people's property and started encroaching on the city property. Its hard to keep them from doing that here. Maybe that's why the popularity waned. I have one, I also bought it from PD last March. It has done well, went from a tiny little thing to a mama with over 10 children this season. Its still up out there, but we have not had any cold weather to speak of yet. All I know is, here, the ones around town return bigger and (better?) every Spring in about the last week of February 1st week of March.

o

These are rampant spreaders so no wonder they've fallen out of favor. I guess planted with a root barrier there'd be no problem.

Cheers, Barrie.

o

I purchased some rice paper plant seeds at Seedrack.com. I planted them in peat pots and placed them under a gro light a month and a half ago. Nothing has come up, and the people at Seedrack won't answer my emails. Does anyone know how to start these seeds? Or does anyone have a start off theirs? I know I am in a little colder zone than most of you, but Seedrack said that they would just come back next year about half the size. Since they said mature height was 15 ft., I figured my plant would still be pretty big.

o

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 12:14

bubba I have lots of plants, if you want to trade

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here