Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicktexas

Bauhinia Kockiana

nicktexas
15 years ago

I recently discovered this tropical shrub in Sub Tropical Gardening magazine (Australia). I grow several bauhinias (galpinii, tomentosa, yunnanensis, etc.) and am searching for a source of plants or seeds of the bauhinia kockiana; as well as experience growing it. Thanks for any help.

NickTexas

Comments (10)

• popper1
    15 years ago

It is a good grower, very vigorous as long as it is kept warm. It will get very large and heavy if you let it and it has enough warmth and water. It like an acidic soil and fertilizer when growing. Its leaves look very different in that they are not the normal hoof-shaped leaves you see in most Bauhinia but they end as a single point. I also a similar species, B bidentata that has the more classic Bauhinia leaf and simlar, but not as nice, flowers. Both are very difficult to find.

David, Fl

• nicktexas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you David - good tips if I find one. No luck on mail order. I wonder if any of the specialty nurseries sell over the counter in the Miami area. I guess that there may be some available in plant shows or trades; such as the Mother's day sale at Fairchild. I travel to Asia occassionally and may be able to pick up a cutting or seeds while I'm there; but I don't have a trip scheduled at this time.

• popper1
    15 years ago

I have never seen them here in Florida, I got mine from Asia. They are fairly common in Thailand & Malaysia.

David, Fl

• nicktexas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David,

Have you posted any pictures? I have seen pictures of bauhinia kockiana from Singapore and KL; but would be interested in seeing yours. Of course, it is probably not the time of year for it in Florida.

Nick

Here is a link that might be useful: Bauhinia Kockiana

• fouquieria
    15 years ago

Well, I got fresh seed a couple of years ago. All five seed came up nice and vigorous and all five died a slow, miserable decline. Everyone else I have communicated with who have tried these have had the same experience. Here's my take on them...they are ultra-tropical, they become HUGE lianas in a hot humid environment like Singapore where the temperature and humidity are consistent year-round. The seed have to be FRESH. Within a week or two the seed deteriorates. Germinate them in deep, individual pots using fine ground peat or Rhododendron/Azalea mix. Keep them humid...and no hard water.

I've tried them twice. I had one plant for about six months before it finally croaked. I know of only one person (in Rome of all places) who got one to bloom. Even he said they were difficult and touchy.

Having said all of this...they seem to grow like weeds in Singapore, Bangkok, Phillipines.

-Ron-

• nicktexas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello again, Ron.
    Based on your experience, sounds like even on the Tx Gulf Coast; it will be difficult. Alkaline soil and we'll see 30's and 40's each winter. David in Florida (Popper1) has been successful. Of course, I have tried a number of plants from south Florida with limited success. I can grow the poinciana in Houston, but it never blooms. The mussaenda blooms (pink and white variety); but I have to drage them to the garage when it gets in the 40s. I do have a bulnesia arboria in a pot that bloomed last summer for the 1st time in 3 years. Bauhinia galpinii (red orchid tree) does extremely well for me in the ground. Thanks for the input.
    Nick

• bahia
    15 years ago

I would also suggest that this will be difficult to grow in Texas, as it is a lot more sensitive to cold than the other Bauhinia species you already have. I have also seen it thriving in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, which is about as lowland tropical as you can get, and would be the equivalent of a USDA zone 13, not 9 as in your location. It is a gorgeous rampantly growing vine where it is happy, but I wouldn't attempt this unless I lived someplace like Key West or Hawaii, and it wouldn't lend itself all that well to life as a container plant to be lugged in and out of a heated greenhouse for the winter.

• shachi
    13 years ago

I really want this plant, but cannot obtain it in India. If anyone can ship it to me, I would be happy to pay for it (and all the documentation) or swap plants against it.

Even Bauhinia Kockiana seeds will do.

• rpal_mdanderson_org
    12 years ago

i im interested in this tree with flowers blooming.Please advise me.
    Thank you