Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goted

Indian night jasmine

goted
18 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone tried growing Indian night jasmine (Nycthanthes arbor-tristis)? It is a small tree from India with very fragrant flowers.

Thanks for any info.

Comments (43)

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

I've got them here in Sarasota. They're sprawley shrubs that get to approx. 6 ft. in pots. Mine are flowering right now. I know them as Parijata. The flowers open at sunset, flower all night, smelling of boiling honey and drop off one by one at or before sunrise.
    kevin

• goted
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Kevin. It sounds like an interesting plant. I wonder why it seems uncommon. The sprawly habit?

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

I know this post is kind of old, but I think I have one in my greenhouse. Checked the A-Z and couldn't find (Nycthanthes arbor-tristis). Is this the correct spelling? Couldn't find parijata either. Would really like to know the proper name. Kevin's description of boiling honey is right on for mine. Any help appreciated.
    Carol

• goted
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Carol,

Sorry, I did spell the name wrong.

The right name is Nyctanthes arbor-tristis. Did you grow it from seed?

Hope you have a great Christmas!!

• kalpana
    18 years ago

Hi
    We are going to visit orlando, I want to know, is there any botanical garden and nurseries, close to disney world.
    Please suggest me where can I get these tropical plants like mango, oranges, hinna etc.
    Thanks

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

goted, thanks for the spelling. Still can't find it in the A-Z but googled the name and found some info. Still not quite sure this is what I have, the pics I found show a bigger-petaled flower than mine. Ours is more tubular. Didn't grow it from seed. Hubby worked at a nursery & was scoping all the toss-outs & finally came up with this one in a 1 gal pot. Got 3-4 other unidentified plants, too. Maybe I can snap some pics next summer when it blooms again. Sure is a rampant grower in the greenhouse. I have to hack it down to 7-8 feet at least 3 times a year. Guess it means he's happy out there!
    Carol

• Bashia
    18 years ago

I believe Ihave a night blooming jasmine, as it opens around sunset and blooms all night, having the most heavenly scent. I cut it back several months ago due to the leaves turning a yellowish green and not healthy looking. It has not really turned around to a healthy looking plant, although I did see one blossom a few days ago on the entire plant. Any suggestions from anyone as to what I can do to help this plant. I love the scent, and at one time, it did sprawl out in a haphazard way. I keep it on my sunporch all year round, as I live in Western MA and it grows well indoors. Thanks, Bashia.

• highlandsgardener
    18 years ago

Sorry, just found out my plant is a cestrum nocturnum, not the Indian Night Jasmine at all. Still smells heavenly!
    Carol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

This seems like a interesting plant. I did a search and found one nursery that carries it and lists Nyctanthes arbor-tristis as a member of the verbena family (?) Other sites list it in the jasmine family. Either way it seems like a nice plant.
    Is the fragrance really strong?

Bashia,
    Do you have cestrum nocturnum (common name night blooming jasmine?) It is a shrub and has long white tubular flowers that open at night. The fragrance is very strong. If you have yours indoors it would continue to grow during the winter. It may need a dilute fertilizer. Also check for spider mites (mites love warm dry indoor conditions) look for tiny dots under the leaves and perhaps some white webs. It may also help to mist the leaves a little because these plants like humidity. I have two huge ones in my backyard and some nights we can smell them an acre away when the breeze is just right.
    Here is a page about cestrum nocturnum with photos.(scroll down for conversation/info)

Here is a link that might be useful: cestrum nocturnum

• machismo77
    17 years ago

hello, can anyone tell where i can find Cestrum nocturnum or the indian Nyctanthes arbor-tristis plants in or around austin,tx area. Also if available online through a reputable seller. Thanks

• seagrapes
    17 years ago

Machismo- There are some at Red Barn Nursery in north Austin in 1 gallon pots, and they are often carried at Wal-Mart in Cedar Park. Haven't been lately to check Wal-Mart, but I did pick one up at Red Barn. If you are south, I'd check Great Outdoors on south Congress.

• machismo77
    17 years ago

thanks seagrapes, i'll call around and check those places.

• joanmary_z10
    17 years ago

If you know of someone who has the Nyctanthes Arbor-Tristis, ask them to do an 'air-layering' for you. 6 weeks later they will have rooted, ready to bloom plants, if the Mother is a bloomer!

• goted
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Joanmary,

Do you like the Indian night jasmine? I originally asked about this plant since I wanted opinions.
    Is the fragrance really attractive?

Thanks for any stories.

• joanmary_z10
    17 years ago

Goted, do I like the NAT (abbr)?

First of all, I consider the Nyctanthes Arbor Tristis (Indian night jasmine) a combination of shrub/tree at this point in its growth.
    FRAGRANCE: Well, for fragrance, one might prefer to have the same fragrance from the Cestrum Nocturnum (night jasmine)which to my sense of smell, appears to be exactly the same. On the NAT it's not a 'wafting', 'rather a nose into the flower' softer fragrance.
    FLOWER: As for the flower, its beauty is in the colour of the stem which is red/orange with the flower being white. Not a particularly 'stunning flower, but very pretty. They have not been in abundance, but again, my tree is not mature yet. I've had 3 seeds from it in the last 2 years!

TREE: It's about 3 years old and stands approx. 5.5' high. Its not in the 'strong' category (for instance a live oak or even a jacaranda) but did withstand the huge wind force of hurricane Wilma last year, so its pretty sturdy - with its thinnish trunk it has more flexability than a 'bark' encased tree) I see it more of a shrub than a tree but of course mine is not 'mature'. The stems and leaves are on the sparce side which is good for the wind to blow through so I'd not plant it for shade if that's a priority item for a buyer. The leaves have a 'roughish' feel - a bit like fine sandpaper.

The tree/shrub - is easily airlayered, even though the stems are quite 'skinny'! It takes approximately 6 weeks to root this way. Its not a fast grower, and not a 'full' looking shrub therefore its not ideal for 'shade'.

Again, my NAT is still only at the beginning of its growth. Who knows what maturity will bring. The pictues I've seen of it has it absolutely filled with flowers - I've yet to enjoy that sight.

Would I buy and plant it again? ...mmmm...Probably as a surprise in the garden, but not as a spectacular beauty!

Hope I have not hurt its feelings...........

• goted
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Joanmary,

Thank you for such a wonderful tale of NAT!!
    It's like a love letter to a plant.
    I can see that you enjoy your green friends very much.

Happy Gardening!!

• machismo77
    17 years ago

While visiting houston, I picked up a 3 gal night jasmine, I am thrilled to have i, but I am not sure if the plant is ok to put in the ground right away or should I just keep it in the pot ? anyone grown the plant in tx, area have any suggestions ? thanks

• sunshine100
    17 years ago

Hi Goted
    My parents, who live in India, have had this plant for many years now. In India it blooms year round . Every morning we used to wake up to see tons of flowers carpeting the ground around the tree. And in summer we kids would make garlands with t hem... sometimes we offered the garlands at temples, sometimes we wore the garlands ourselves:) it was a lot of fun!
    It has a pleasant fragrance( not strong though). But its known more for its important place in hindu mythology and the abundant blooms than its fragrance.I have to agree with jonmary the flowers are not strikingly pretty, but they do have a charm of their own. Im pretty much seconding everything jonmary said. You can grow it quite easily from seed too I believe.

• jankip
    17 years ago

Hi Sunshine,

Do you know where can I find the seeds of this plants. I have been looking for the parijat seeds from almost last 4 years as I am not happy with the ready plants when they ship it. I got it from logees twice and killed it. So where can you find the seeds of this plant. As you rightly said, we offer this to God and so I wanted it so badly for my grandmom. However can't find it anywhere in USA. On banana-tree they are always out of order.

Pleaes please let me know if you know where can i find them!!!

Thanks

Janki

• goted
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sunshine,

Thanks for the story of the joy you had with the plant in India.

Hi Janki,

I bought some seeds of the plant from a seed company in India. Their website is www.allseasonseeds.com

• jankip
    17 years ago

Hi Goted,

Thanks sooooooo much for the website information. I did went on that site and saw parijat there. However was not clear whether do I have to buy seeds worth $25 as a minimum order! If you have bought that do you have any idea how many seeds they send in one packet. All I wanted was parijat seeds and so I don't want to order anything extra.

• pankaj
    16 years ago

I am looking for Indian night jasmine urgently. Red Barn/Great Outdoors, Austin, TX do not carry right now. If you have it in your yard, please let me know. I need its leaves for a medicine. Please send me an email : khanpan@yahoo.com .
    I will be very thankful to you.

• tina_123
    16 years ago

Hi goted,
    I was wondering if the seeds you bought actually germinated. I am also planning to buy from them.

Thanks

• ketki
    16 years ago

hi, i just came acrose this, night jasmine, is different from the picture, above the picture is parijat. night blooming jasmine is ''ratt ki rani'' it is different from parijat. you can get this plant from florida. the adderese is ;;www.top tropical .com'' i just got this plant from them. they came in good condition and they servive too. dont spend 25,doller for seed/

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

I got seeds off Ebay. They were fresh and almost all germinated. Now I have a ton of seedlings, LOL! My seedlings look exactly like Sultry Night Jasmine's picture, except for the flowers...which I can't wait for! Does anyone know how long it takes for this tree to flower?

You can also find this tree at Gardino's in Delray Beach, FL. I think their website is www.rareflora.com. Andrea is the best!

If you google the name, you'll find out this tree is also known as "Lover's Tree" and "Sad Tree" and has a romantic story behind it. Also supposed to have religious significance in the Buddhist and Hindu Religions. I think this tree is way cool and I love it so far just for the stories behind it! I can't wait until it actually flowers!

• tina_123
    16 years ago

Thanks for info everyone. But I love growing from seeds...much more economical. Florida nurseries charge a lot for shipping and handling. Wannarunfaster, by any chance can you give me the details of the ebay seller. Would also love to trade for your seedlings if you are interested. Thanks.
    Tina

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Hi Tina,

The vendor was Seedpeople. They also have ylang ylang, michelia, etc. My seedlings are in a community pot right now but when they get a bit bigger I'll seperate them out. Right now I don't want to mess with them because they're growing and look happy and I can't tell you how many times I've lost plants because I couldn't wait. If you don't get any sooner, try me back in a few weeks!

• tina_123
    16 years ago

Thanks wannarunfaster, I know that at this stage they are very fragile. I will keep a lookout on ebay. There are orange jasmine seeds always available but none of this kind. If you are willing to trade however in a few weeks just let me know. Meanwhile I'll keep looking.

Thanks

• tina_123
    16 years ago

Hi wanna run faster,
    I just bought a plant from Logee's (special order) and should receive in in 2-3 months.They are based in CT! Just wanted to let you know. Thanks

Tina

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

wanna run, cool to know that these kind of seeds are easy to germinate. What did the seeds look like? Maybe I can get mine to produce seeds this year lol. The leaves are pretty cool in that they have a very rough sandpapery feel.
    ~SJN

• jayram123
    16 years ago

Hi Machismo77,

Where in Houston did you pick this up? Which store is this? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay.

• kartha16_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Available as plants in Southern Florida. The botonical name
    is NYCTANTHES ARBOR-TRISTIS; aka parijatham or parijat. You
    may google "nyctanthes arbor-tristis and will find where it
    is available and you can order them. Good luck.

• blog2252
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Great to hear about the interest in Night Jasmine. I've been looking for this plant in a lot of gardening stores for a while without luck. Does anyone near San Marcos, TX area have it? If so can I get a cutting from your tree/shrub?
    Thanks,
    John

• dhanu
    15 years ago

I am growing Parijata from seeds which came from India, seeds germinate very easily. Mine are 6 years old. keep the roots constantly moist, never let them dry, & keep them trimmed. First time not knowing enough about this plant I ended up killing it. when i visited India last time I brought more seeds. I am planning to get more seeds hopefully before spring.

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

My seeds survived, I kept two of them...one for the front and one for the back. Both drop tons of flowers each morning. The scent is definitely wafting, to me kind of sweet like honey-almond. Due to it's sprawling habit I am going to relocate it, I hope it survives :)

Gardino's also has it now and they ship if anyone is still looking for this :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardino's website

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I've tried it from seed twice with no success. I have no idea if the seed was fresh or nor or if that even matters. What is the best way to germinate these seeds? I'd love to grow this plant. If it wasn't so &^*$ cold here I'd order one but don't think it would survive shipping.

• rajanbhirud
    13 years ago

I am in central NJ.
    I need help in growing Night Jasmine which is known as Nyctanthes arbor-tristis also it is known as Parijata.
    Can someone help me?

• dhanu
    13 years ago

I've been growing them from seed since 21 years. soil should be always kept moist. does well in full sun. I sell seedlings.

• artist_lata_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I badly need seedlings of this plant if you can provide some. Let me know. Email me.

• ranjani281_gmail_com
    12 years ago

HI Dhanu,
    I really admire your inspiration and determination to grow Parijata. I have planted 3 saplings about 15 days back in big pots and really hoping to see Parijata flowers one day! when will that day come? what care should I give them? Any spl fertilizer to be used? Your tips are greatly appreciated
    Please help me. How long does it take for Parijata to grow and start flowering? Eagerly waiting for your reply

• tylorgv
    9 years ago

Am looking for some cuttings. If anyone have the plant, can you send me some? Let me know. Thank you.

• namdeepg
    7 years ago

Can somebody let me know where can I find Indian night jasmine plant.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks