Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wickedwickedwitch

Dragon Fruit Help

wickedwickedwitch
14 years ago

My kid is adopted from Vietnam. We would love to bring a little of Vietnam to our garden. Having become a huge fan of dragon fruit, I thought growing a few would be cool.

Where do I start? Anyone have any cuttings they wouldn't mind sending my way for postage? Anything easier or harder to grow?

Comments (4)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

They are very easy to grow but they need a major support system. Not having a proper support was my mistake. I break off multiple segments every year trying to move it to the greenhouse for winter protection (I'm in zone 7). I don't get much fruit, probably because I mangle the plant every fall. lol There's a GW member, Jay. I think he's in Ohio and he has a great set up in his greenhouse for his Dragon Fruit. Do a search through this forum for pics of his plant. You can also do a search online to see how the supports are made.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Would suggest you check out "Pine Island nursery" site
    There are dozens of cultivars of these type epiphytes.
    Will help you select the best cultivar for your purposes as well as all kinds of culture info.
    Actually the family has some of the worlds most spectacular flowers so even if they don't fruit still fantastic lol. gary

• wickedwickedwitch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you!!

• brooklyngreg
    14 years ago

Dragon Fruit is be high in vit C and comes in three colors - pink looks the nicest and it has pink flesh. It is in the catus family grows well in Israel, Mexico S. Amer. Purple figs are similar and very tastey and ezier to grow. Jesus Christ our Lord ate figs as well and He knows what best:)