Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elephant ear got freezer burn

Posted by chueh 7 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 22:27

Two nights in a roll, the temp dropped down to 29 degree. First night was 32 degree, yet my elephant ear was fine. I thought that the second night should be ok too. However, it dropped 3 more degrees, and the plant was drooping just like coming out of a freezer. It's going to be 34 tonight. I covered it with a plastic sheet. I don't know if it would help after the plant got hurt. I feel so guilty for letting the plant uncovered for two nights. Am I too late????

I was aware of the zone that elephant ears require. However, the leaves of them are so beautiful and charming that I just wanted to try them in the ground rather than in pots. I was thinking of covering the plant when the temp got ever colder. Nevertheless, I did not know that even a few degrees below freezing point would hurt it. What do I do now? Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elephant ear got freezer burn

I'd dig up the corms and cut off the foliage leaving about 2" of the leaf stem but leave the roots. Just shake off the soil and put them in a warm place to dry for a couple weeks. Once they are cured store them in peat or sphagnum somewhere cool and dry over the winter. I wait for a frost to kill back the foliage on mine before I dig them up.
Karyn

o

So... it's not dead yet...... Really!!! That's terrific! nice to hear that! Question, though. Drying the corm for a couple weeks will not make it dehydrated and die? I am sorry for asking the question, but I learned not to get the roots of any kind of plants dry. After I dig it out and shake the soil off, can I directly transplant it into a pot and put it indoors? Thank you very much

o

The corm is a storage organ, not the same as roots, so it can be stored on the dry side, but there should be some humidity or the medium should be very slightly moist to prevent the corm from desiccating. New roots will grow when it warms up.

o

I leave mine in the ground and they come back every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here