Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Surprising and unusual plants for indoors

mark4321_gw
12 years ago

I'm moving tomorrow (to San Carlos, south of San Francisco), and while my place will have a potentially frost-free outdoor growing area, it will be small. However, there will be a large well-lighted place inside and I'm curious about what fun plants are known to live in such an environment. Not the usual plants, but the surprises. The true rarieties (that, for example would be hard to find at any online nursery).

I'll ask for examples here and pot a "Want" add in the exchange section for anyone who can help me out.

Thanks,

Randy

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

How MUCH light? Full sun, partial, etc.? Humidity and temperature levels? Amount of care you can handle? You need to describe the growing environment and the amount of space...dimensions. Frankly, one could grow just about anything inside and what CAN'T be purchased on eBay! Any ideas on a motif for the area--tropical rainforest, desert, Asian-inspired, aquatic, floral, fruiting, etc?

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have no idea the exact conditions inside or the volume it might include. It will be near the west side of the condo which is pretty much entirely glass (big window + sliding glass doors). I have no idea what the dimensions are, and the light levels will depend on how far from the glass and how the sunlight reaching the door/windows varies with season. It is by no means full sun.

People around here don't worry so much about the humidity inside as do people in other parts of the country. We are close enough to the ocean that it rarely gets very hot, and winters are mild and often damp. So the inside humidity is rarely high or low. If something needs high humidity, perhaps it would be unhappy.

There are plenty of highland tropicals that need cool nights and would be difficult if not impossible in a heated home. Ebay may have more available over an extended period of time than even an excellent online nursery. However, there are still plenty of plants that are never or almost never sold on Ebay.

I would never grow plants according to a theme. Fruits in particular strikes me as odd because so many subtropical fruits grow well around here. Many tropicals require (as far as I'm aware) more heat and light than is typically found indoors.

Perhaps I should modify what I said earlier to emphasize that I'm thinking of those plants that would grow well inside but can't be grown outside in our climate.

• User
    12 years ago

The reason a 'theme' is helpful is because it focuses on plants that require similar growing conditions (that you can help to better accommodate by modifying the existing growing area if need be)--it's not merely a question of aesthetics. It might be helpful to actually live in your new home for a while to get a better idea on the light situation (which does obviously change throughout the day and year). Are you thinking in terms of big plants (i.e., trees), mid-sized interior plants, small ones or a mixture. It sounds like your ultimate goal is a collection of very rare, subtropicals that are difficult for the private collector to attain and will survive under indoor conditions. What about orchids? There are avid groups of orchid collectors through whom very unusual (and pricey) plants may be obtainable. A collection of insectivorous plants? Good luck!

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I realize there must be many interesting orchids that can tolerate low light, moderate humidity, and the absence of a drop in temperature at night. A number are worth trying with my outdoor conditions as well. As far as insectivores go, I'm a big fan of Nepenthes and some have grown well for me inside in the past. There are also candidates for trying outside. My mom has had N. sanguinea outside now (at a nearby location) for about 2 years and it's doing great.