Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

My micro-oasis

I recently took part in a GW-UK swap for a batch of Washingtonia Robusta palm seeds. This prompted me to remember I still had 11 seeds off a palm that I had collected whilst on holiday in Spain earlier this month, (plus there's an assortment of others that the couple who came with us still have including some more palms and Jacarandas I think they were...I hope they still have them!) I posted a pic of the palm and got it ID'd straight away on GW....you guessed it, it was also a W. R. too. Anyway, I soaked the seeds I gathered for 24 hours and planted them up on 23rd Nov and this weekend I found I'd got 100% germination in my trusty airing cupboard. (should have got the palm seeds ID'd BEFORE the swap I guess!). Now I have the chance of turning our little hilltop village into a tropical oasis. How good would that be??

Think I may well get back to the UK swap site and offer some of the pre-germinated W.R. palms in exchange for something else to try as I now have a load more to experiment with.

Gill.

Comments (6)

• bahia
    16 years ago

You do realize that Washingtonia robusta fares poorly as a long term palm outdoors in England? They just don't hold up to the lashing winds and cold of winter once they get some height. You'd be better off sticking with the classic palms for your region, such as the various Trachycarpus and Butias.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

A few years ago, in one of the designing tv show, they said you could grow WR in a pot indoors. Potting it would also restrict some of its height -- give it a try.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Sure, give it a try as a potted plant! What have you got to lose? When they get more established, maybe you try one in a very sheltered location (or protect it somehow)? If you lose it, you'll still have the potted ones!

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi there, yes that is my intention as I realise planting them outdoors would be definate a no goer here following my reading up on Washingtonias. We are in quite an exposed place also, it gets very windy and cold.

As you say, I have nothing to loose, this was just another of my experiments in having a go at something I'm 'not supposed to grow'. I was amazed how quickly they popped up and all of them too, have at least another 40 to plant!! Yikes!

I have also got a seed sown Canary Is. Date and a P. Dactylifera at 1ft and 5ft each, and they are thriving indoors, so hopefully I can now add a few others. Got the large g/h so no problem with growing on. They may even stay indoors permanently as anything can be pot grown provided it's looked after properly.

Have trouble finding deep pots that are not too wide. Do all palms have deep roots like the P. Dactylifera and need these extra deep pots?

Which palm would be the best to try then....Tr. Fortunei and Butia Capitata seem to be my best bets from what I've just found? Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks, Gill.

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Hi Gill,

Have you considered hardy bananas like Musa Basjoo, Musa Sikkimensis and Musa Itinerans? These can survive the winters in your area. Also some of the hardy bamboos would work to help give your property a tropical look.

Philip

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello there Philip, nice to 'see' you here!
    Must admit I have never thought of any of the banana family as being hardy enough to try here, I had always associated them with far more tropical conditions.
    I did have two large pots full of a very rampant bamboo, hence the tubs, till last summer when they unfortunately dried out far too much/for too long and I lost them both completely. Despite my efforts to revive them they had given up. My mum still has hers so I think I may well be asking for a division come spring.
    I am going to get some Cannas also as they are lush and tropical to put with my Elephant Ears which had leaves like dustbin lids this summer.
    Our 1/2 acre garden is so open and exposed it is difficult to know what to do with it at times as most of it is lawned. Loads of gardening progs on TV give all sorts of ideas/projects but mainly for smaller enclosed town gardens, our is the complete opposite, the area taken up by the driveway and patio are bigger than most folks gardens!...but I love it here and wouldn't change it for the world.
    Regards, Gill.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus