Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vellozia - Does anyone grow these??

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 9:30

Hi all, I got in some Vellozia sp. the other day when we were really cold....the plants look like poo and I have never grown one. These were tossed in by a friend from overseas just 'cause he likes to ship me weird stuff, but he rarely bothers with things like instructions on how to grow them (or species for that matter). Does anyone have any advice before I just throw them away?? How much light, how much water, how much fertilizer, etc.?? I hear they are very hard to grow, but now that I have them I hate to toss them out without a fight :D Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vellozia - Does anyone grow these??

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 11, 07 at 12:16

I have a Vellozia species from South Africa that makes a nice little flowering ground cover for shade, and likes it on the moist side. Rather undistinguished when it isn't blooming, but different. Hard to generalize about this genus, as there are quite a few from the Brazilian highlands as well, that are generally tropical growers that can't take frost, and prefer a distinct dry season in winter, for the most part.

o
RE: Vellozia - Does anyone grow these??

Thanks, I have heard from a few others that these really resent having their roots disturbed so I doubt if I have any chance, but I will atleast try until they are clearly dead!! I'm told these have wonderful flowers that smell like chocolate, but I doubt I will see them myself :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here