Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmgardens_gw

How To Save A Florida Avocado

mmgardens
15 years ago

Hi all,

Last winter we propagated a Florida Avocado (Persea americana) by elevating the seed above water. It sprouted and we planted it in good potting soil and in no time at all it became a lovely houseplant over 4' tall with two 3' long branches coming out near the top, almost like a large cross-like shape.

We're in Ohio where the winters are cold, but we've kept the plant in a back 3-season room where it was cool and with indirect light all year. It's been colder than ever this past week -- at least 30 degrees but it might've done down to 20 or even lower -- and the other day I noticed that some of the leaves looked wilted. I watered the plant and put a watch on it, and on Monday night we saw that the leaves were definitely wilting bad. We took the plant in and keep it in the warm front room where it gets plenty of sun.

But this morning I see that all of the leaves are dry and crumble when you touch them. The stalk and two branches are still green and fleshy, but the leaves are all dry. The soil in the pot is moist and we hadn't watered it for three days or so.

I have a bad feeling about this plant but I'd like to do my best to save it. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz