Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuartdave

freeze damage from Stuart

stuartdave
13 years ago

Here in Stuart Florida at my house the low was 29.3 for 1 night (below 32 for about 4 hrs). This was the coldest in my 13 yrs of living here. The damage from this freeze was worst than last year. These are the results-jackfruit-bangkok lemon grafted 5 yrs old - mainly leaf damage top 1/2 of tree,seedling jackfruit- no damage,starfruit-2 trees -no noticeable damage, mangoes- no noticeable damage except newly planted rosiegold lost blooms and browned leaves at the top, macadamia- no damage,avacadoes- no damage, bananas- all burned at the top with little green left, white sapotes - 3 varieties - no damage, longan slight damage on new growth,indian jujubes- young and minor leaf damage, pineapples - some minor leaf damage,barbados cherry- no damage,sapadillo-alano-leaf damage on top mostly where I tried to cover it with a sheet,soursops- leafs dropped.

Comments (2)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about the frost damage. Hopefully there won't be extended periods of cold like last winter. I live near DC but spend some time in West Palm during the winter. I don't know if it got much above 70 during the day last year while I was there.

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hello
    So far everything is hanging on though i moved everything portable into the house.3 years ago I started a hedge of Vanda orchids between two queen palms and I erected a temp GH with heat Concerned about the Schizolobium and Cassia roxburghii way to big too cover as well as the evergreen plumeria. They had just recovered from last year!! All my tropical fish were wiped out last year that I'd kept since 82.
    Brace yourself there's another coming Monday. looks like it will stay above frost in my area.
    Geez winter has just started and I was looking forward to global warming to help out !! good luck gary