Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shivasj

Mango, Avocado, and Orange in Containers

shivasj
12 years ago

Hi All,

First of all thank you to everyone in this forum for the vast amount of knowledge shared.

I would like to share my experience in growing Mango, Avocado, and Orange in Containers. This summer I got 2 mango plants an Avocado and an Orange. Since I am in zone 8, I was able to keep them outside until mid to late October. It was in October I learnt about Al's potting mix (Thanks Al'). So i made the 5-1-2 mix and transferred all the plants into large 24" containers. All the containers were moved into my sun room where they got plenty of sunshine and I put 2 grow lights (Philips 120W Agro-Lite) which i turned on and off daily. I also maintained the room temperature at 64-66F (I had read any temp above 55 keeps the tropical's not go into dormancy). All this was done in late October and I was hoping I was not too late to re-pot in the season.

Now in December I was so thrilled that I see new growth in both the Mangoes and Avocado. One of the Mangoes (I had got a Carrie from Lowes) has started blooming. There are already two big bunches of blooms and i see two more new blooms coming up. With all this new growth and blooms I am so excited but wanted to check with you experts if it is ok to let your plants grow vigorously indoor during winter and is blooming in mangoes ok this time of the year. Also any advice or comments on my methods used.

ÃÂ

Happy Holidays!!!

Shivas

Comments (5)