Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alonzo9425

Problems with Chinese Hibiscus in Ensenada, Mexico

alonzo9425
11 years ago

I am a new member here....

I recently moved to Ensenada, Mexico and have started collecting Chinese Hibiscus cuttings from the many different colors and bloom types that I am finding here. I have grown Chinese Hibiscus in Kansas and Missouri for over 35 years. I am not having any difficulties rooting cuttings, however, when the cuttings start to grow and bloom they are suddenly developing a burn on the leaf edges and yellowing of new growth. I was experimenting with using coco coir that I processed myself and added to the growing mixes that I found here... maybe 20% or 30%. After developing these problems I have changed soils on these plants and flushed the growing medium with rain water. I was using the city water but I have changed and also started using a balanced Miracle Grow fertilizer, which I always used on my plants in the states with great results, but so far the plants only seem to be getting more and more sick.

I did find two sources for "Pro Mix" growing medium here in Ensenada. Do I need to start over and try growing in Pro- Mix and use rain water?

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks for any help....

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz