Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with Chinese Hibiscus in Ensenada, Mexico

Posted by alonzo9425 none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 13:31

I am a new member here....

I recently moved to Ensenada, Mexico and have started collecting Chinese Hibiscus cuttings from the many different colors and bloom types that I am finding here. I have grown Chinese Hibiscus in Kansas and Missouri for over 35 years. I am not having any difficulties rooting cuttings, however, when the cuttings start to grow and bloom they are suddenly developing a burn on the leaf edges and yellowing of new growth. I was experimenting with using coco coir that I processed myself and added to the growing mixes that I found here... maybe 20% or 30%. After developing these problems I have changed soils on these plants and flushed the growing medium with rain water. I was using the city water but I have changed and also started using a balanced Miracle Grow fertilizer, which I always used on my plants in the states with great results, but so far the plants only seem to be getting more and more sick.

I did find two sources for "Pro Mix" growing medium here in Ensenada. Do I need to start over and try growing in Pro- Mix and use rain water?

Any ideas on what is happening?

Thanks for any help....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with Chinese Hibiscus in Ensenada, Mexico

Alonzo,
I don't have a definitive answer to your problem but we have also had a lot of problems growing plants in coconut fiber. Untreated it contains a lot of taurine which is very toxic to many plants.It can be made suitable for growing by thorough washing but I suspect few producers go to this trouble. If your plants have already absorbed a substantial amount of taurine, the treatment you are attempting may not be sufficient to remove all of it. It's best not to use it. - Ian.

o
RE: Problems with Chinese Hibiscus in Ensenada, Mexico

a trace amount of flouride is normally added to tap water for human use. yellowing of new growth and burn of the leaf edges are the effects of it on susceptible plants. it can not be easily aerated not much like chlorine due to its chemistry. it may also be found as unsuspecting hitchhiker on fertilizers containing super-phosphate and other soil additives.
there are multitude of ways to minimize and possibly get rid of flouride, but first, identification of the problem is critical, as application of products may damage your plant further rather than you expected.
flushing the plants is a good start to minimize particulate matter accumulated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here