Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing a ficus hedge

Posted by bobj z10 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 14:42

I have ficus hedges all around my property. What is the easiest and most economical way to remove them so they don't grow back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing a ficus hedge

A Bobcat

o

chainsaw and commercial roundup

o

• Posted by bobj z10 FL (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 3, 05 at 18:31

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure a bobcat would work as they are a few inches from the sidewalk (on 2 sides of a corner lot).

For the chainsaw method, would I use roundup first and then chainsaw, or would I chainsaw and then paint the stumps with roundup?

o

commercial round up on fresh cut stumps is the way to go for me

o

Method #1:

Move away and don't leave a forwrding address.

Method #2:

Use a tow strap or chain. Attach one end to the base of the bush, the other to your Ford F250. Pull in the direction parallel to or away from the sidewalk if they are very large. This can damage the transmissions of small light vehicles.

Jerry

o

You could contact Bonsai groups or Societies near you, they might be interested in coming out and digging them up for you. They remove the trees for free of charge and you don't have to do any work. Should be a win - win situation for both parties.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Dig them out, don't leave the stumps or the roots. You can find day laborers all over the 3 counties for $10 an hour. Get three or four big guys, give 'em shovels and get out of the way.

o

Stumps will easily remove in a few months without much work..I just removed a hedge of holly this way with great success..used comercial round up(50%) instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here