Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How and when to repot an Anthurium

Posted by hmomof2 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 14:46

Hello, I bought my first Anthurium 3 months ago from the Home Depot. It is and was in excellent condition when I bought it. It still is in excellent condition and appears to be happy. I believe that it is too big for it's little 8" pot. Overall the plant is 30" high and has about 6" of roots above the pot. I have to double up the stakes to keep it upright.

1. Should I repot it?
2. If I do, how on earth do I accomplish this with these roots all over the place?(I'm assuming these are air roots like an orchid)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How and when to repot an Anthurium

most anthuria are epiphytic, semi-epiphytic or lithophytic. Their usual home in the wild may be as simple as the crux between tree branches that they can attach to and sit in a cache of leaf litter.

When put into soil or the ground, they will almost always send roots up into the air, because that is their epiphytic nature.

The best way to repot an anthurium is into a large basket, like a mesh basket or a wood slat basket lined with mesh, filled with a mix of organic stuff like bark, peanut shells, some humus, perlite, aliflor, etc. The roots are looking for air when they come out of the dirt like yours are. You can always set the basket into a large cachepot.

o

I'd second most of that. It's true, however, that even here in Brazil, Anthuriums are often grown as pot plants and they don't mind this. Some even say they flower better when pot-bound. My mother-in-law has some spectacular plants that are only in 10" pots. You must keep them warm , however.

o

My wife received her's as a gift in the hospital . It was in a small pot, which it quickly outgrew.
I transplanted it to a larger and it never seemed to slow down.
My question: How and when should it be fertilized?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here