Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With Tropicals

Posted by mikehara 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 20, 08 at 15:42

I live near Dallas, and my wife and I really love being in tropical areas, but unfortunately, that is not Dallas. In order to feel closer to what we like, we would like to be able to plant tropicals in our yard, but I'm not sure what will survive our low temps in the winter, and dry heat in the summer. We've got 2 mexican fan palms in the back around the pool, and a baby windmill that I've got protected from the cold. I'm looking for ideas of plants that we could use. I'm open for all suggestions. We've got 3 yuccas, and these are nice, but we would like to have more variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With Tropicals

• Posted by bihai zone 9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 21, 08 at 15:15

Hedychium gingers would work for you but would go dormant in the winter.

o

I live in Fort Worth and I too like the tropical look in my yard.To achive this effect I have added the following:

Sago palms
Cannas
Hardy Hibscus
Mexiacn Fan palms
Bananna trees
Umbrella grass
Butterfly ginger

Hope this helps you out some

Rigo

o

I'm in NC but also zone 8. Some things I have grown are canna, calla, fan palm, many hardy hibiscus, hedychium (ginger lily), lantana, banana trees, pineapple lily, Pindo palm, bamboo (in containers except the clumping kinds), crinum, rain lilies, all kinds of grasses. All except the palms die down for winter. You'd need a good irrigation system too except for the lantana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here