Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Fruits

Posted by makattack2013 Montana (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:38

I was wondering the difficulty of growing a dragon fruit plant. I live in Montana but will be leaving for Washington soon. I want a dragon fruit plant but i don't know how to care for one. I know you can take them indoors and out, I don't care about the prices. If someone could tell me all the items needed for a dragon fruit plant for indoors and out, and all the care tips, how much water, how much sunlight, what temp to keep it in, etc. thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Fruits

don't let it freeze , light frost for a short time won't hurt it, med frost or extended frost will do some damage, just be sure to remove anything that may become 'mushy' so it can heal and not rot, they can go for long a long time with out water, or soil, they will sprout 'air' roots and are climbers so as it gets larger support is good, they can handle a few weeks with out sunlight,and do fine, I have my self stored cuttings in boxes, for short periods of time, just make sure you do not have alot of water on them or on soil to if they are in air tight or no light situations...

o

alwazeroom4more: Any tips on getting a cutting to start. I visited California in September and an orchid breeder gave me a cutting of a dragon fruit. He told me to split it in two, put it in soil and wait for it to grow. It is now January and it has no new growth and does not seem to be taking root. I am out of options and have no clue how to make it take hold.

o

I wonder what "split it in two" meant?!

All you should need to do is place a calloused cutting (dried out for about a week after cutting) in some reasonably well-draining medium and keep it sort of warm (i.e., not cold) and give it some bright light (not direct sun). It may take awhile to see new growth, but the important thing is that the cutting should not turn mushy or show other signs of rot. Don't overwater.

o

steve: That sounds like what I did but no luck. Maybe I will make a fresh cut on the pieces and try again. Perhaps I watered it too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here