Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice pls for rescued bouganvillea

Posted by ponytail73 nh zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:41

Hi Everyone! I have read threw this forum before seeking advice, but just signed up today! I must say! I have gotten a lot of great tips and you are all so kind to each other. I live in NH zone 5. I just moved to my first house 4 yrs ago and have become compleatly adicted to growing things, inside and out! Anyway, enough about me, on to my new project! I took a discarded potted bouganvillea from work late in november. It was sad looking but alive! I cut it down to live growth,so not much was left. and added dirt since pot had been dumped. so now! Its alive and growing crazy shoots all over, from the trunk part to the ends, and getting wild! not that I mind, it has to share bay window with just a few others and iv got him a little broken pitch fork to ravel up. My question really is. what now? should I be trimming off these new shoots? how much and when? and how? Iv been so grateful he lived until it hit me! I could be treating him badly and not getting desired results. Should I feed him, or wait til spring? I realize in my zone a lot of people use these as anuals. however I would like to recycle him for as many years as possable! I would appreciate any and all advice from anyone who has over wintered these and had success! Thanks for reading!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice pls for rescued bouganvillea

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! If you can keep it alive for winter, that's a good accomplishment. Sounds like that's going well since it's growing. Bougs are known to NOT flower if fertilized, so I wouldn't. No reason to not trim anything that gets out of hand while inside if you need to.

o

If you you tend to coddle your plants, this is not the plant for you. I agree with Purple, cut away but do not feed. They LOVE--HEAT, FULL SUN, Prolonged DROUGHT conditions, the occasional watering, and POOR/NON-FERTILE soils. For this neglect, they will reward with blooms even in the dead of winter as long as you get SUN and forget the watering for extended periods. Think 'though love'!

o

i don't have any experience in overwintering plants, but i'm most sure that you should cut back in watering enough to keep the plant alive through because you're not expecting growth with the decreased light level and cold. don't bring in fertilizer until next spring as mentioned. the best time to prune is in late winter or early spring to promote fuller growth and blooms to unfold. (since most bougainvillea tend to bloom on young shoots.)
here in the windy tropics, some varieties of bougainvillea can bloom as much as you want. at least, the ones i own that are in fertile soil, big pots, free-draining soil mix...
putting the plant in a near-death state is also an effective method to promote blooms and colorful bracts to unfold. when deprived of water for extended period of time and watered late at once, the plant will see this as an opportunity to bloom to carry on his posterity as a last resort.
though i'd prepare the former method if i were you if condition permits.

This post was edited by keylyn on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 9:38

o

Wow! Thanks everyone for great advice! I will leave him in that sunny window and cut some of those crazy shoots, then do my best to ignore him a while! I have not over wintered much of anything before, but I'm going to give it my best. The hardest part may be just to leave him alone! You all are great! I'm happy I signed up for this site. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here