Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zattaltin

Please identify this plant

zattaltin
9 years ago

my wife has had this plant for a long time and we have no idea what it is. Can you tell me what this plant is?

Can I cut it back when I gets warmer to make it bush out? Can I take a cutting and grow a new plant?

Comments (9)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

Ficus elastica or rubber tree =)

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Would agree with the Ficus elastica,looks like the standard color form . You can do just about anything you want to them . Incredibly hardy Here they are weeds but make excellent dwarfed specimens because they are so amendable to pruning. gary..

• zattaltin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When looking at this one it looks like it has a small trunk. Is that normal? Is there a way to make that baby fatter?

Also if I were to take a cutting would I just cut a leaf where it meets the trunk and then plant it with a root hormone like normal?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

now that you have the latin name ... google it.. but add PROPAGATION ... and you can read up on how to do it ... most house plants are easily replicated.. and that is why they are sold everywhere ... and for rather cheap ....

do ask use the houseplant forum also .... never know where you will find your muse ...

and also ... most can be cut down to 4 to 6 inches as well ... but i will leave that research to you.. as i dont know.. off hand ...

it also looks like it could use a repotting ... not all common potting media is the same.. research that also ... lots of posts on GW about such ...

finally ... does that pot have drainage???? .. if not .. and you like its decorative-ness ... learn about pot in pot ...

also ... to keep it bushier.. as you call it.. perfecting light.. reduces etiolation ... or stretching ...

good luck

ken

• zzackey
    9 years ago

You need more than a leaf to make a cutting. Cut a section with four leaves on it. Strip the bottom two leaves off and bury the
    stem of the plant under the soil in pot or the ground. The roots will appear where you took the leaves off of the stem. Keep the leaves above ground wet with a mister or a hose until you see new growth. Then you can repot or let grow in the ground..

• zzackey
    9 years ago

dupilcate.

This post was edited by zackey on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 18:29

• zattaltin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken.... Maybe just don't answer...since it was mostly filled with do it yourself... And periods.....

Zackey thank you very much. Is that trunk a common size? I have seen rubber trees with bigger trunks or so I thought and would like to have one myself.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The trunk does seem skinny. Can you put it outside in a shady spot for the summer? Maybe that would help it beef up?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

The trunk does seem skinny. Can you put it outside in a shady spot for the summer? Maybe that would help it beef up?