Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marmalade bush (Streptosolen jamesonii)

Posted by ifraser25 z11 Brazil (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 18:41

I'm wondering whether now it has finished flowering is the right time to prune my bush which is about a meter tall. How hard should you prune it ? It had a lot of flowers but is now looking rather straggly.It looks as if it needs cutting hard back but I don't want to lose next year's seasons flowers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marmalade bush (Streptosolen jamesonii)

Lucky you, I wish I had that problem. I bet it should set some seeds. The ones I tried to grow here never lasted very long. Just wanted to say hello from a Americanized Brazilian from Mississsippi! Would love to hear what other plants you grow there, if you don't mind me asking.
Helena

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 23:31

I would suggest several light prunings throughout the year rather than one hard one, but this plant is pretty adaptable to pruning and repeat bloom. Here in San Francisco, it can bloom pretty much year round as long as it is encouraged with fertilizer, gets full sun, and doesn't receive frost. It can also get 2 to 3 meters tall by across if left unpruned. They do set seed easily here, and it is a great almost everblooming shrub if you have the room for it.

It ought to be pretty well adapted to Sao Paulo conditions, as its native range in South Africa is also humid subtropical.

o

Ifraser25, glad you posted this subject, Streptosolen jamesonii or Marmalade bush. I just purchased one and had never seen any before. Have you ever observed any hummingbird use at this plant in your location? I am in Costa Rica.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here