Return to the Tropicals Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zebra Plant 'Aphelandra'

Posted by daniellalell 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 07 at 20:12

My son just got me one of these as an xmas present. A few of the leaves are dry and crinkly, one has a rip in the middle and is getting crinkly around the rip. Can I trim these leaves off?
It came very rootbound in a tiny 5" pot. Even though it is in bloom, I felt I should as the roots were actually growing over the sides of the pot at the top. I just re-potted it yesterday, I didnt mess with the root system, it came right out in pot-form, dirt and all..was mostly roots it seemed.. and that's how i put it in the new pot. Fresh soil under and around the edges of existing soil. Gave it a good watering, as it was bone dry.
Should I have waited to re-pot? And can I trim the leaves? I don't want the dying leaves to take anything away from the rest of the plant, especially since its blooming.
thank you,
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zebra Plant 'Aphelandra'

The leaves were dry and crinkly because it was bone dry. You might want to pull it out of its new pot and loosen up at least some of it's roots. Otherwise it won't know it's in a bigger pot. You can freely remove any bad leaves. The Zebra Plant likes moisture, so water freely. If you forget, it will let you know with droopy leaves that will perk up not too long after you water. Usually you will loose a leaf or 2 if it droops from no water.

The Zebra likes very bright indirect light indoors - some morning sun would be ideal. Just keep it watered well and it should do well. I read once that the bottom leaves won't grow back once they die off but I am not so sure that is true.

o

Thanks Jennifer!

o

Mine has got a rip in the middle of a leaf. Is it anything I should worry about?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropicals Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here