Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_tlc

Need some Avacado Help in S Florida

mr_tlc
14 years ago

I am buying my wife an avacado tree for her birthday. What is the best eating type of avacadoes to get that will survive in S.Florida?

Comments (4)

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Hello Mr TLC,

You should also post this on the Florida Forum. Sorry I can't be of much help, all I have is one -- Miguel and it hasn't fruited yet. You can check out varieties online at Pine Island Nursery, they have an avacado viewer where you can compare their offerings. Wouldn't she like a mango too, lol?

WRF

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

actually i would recommend you post it in the Tropical Fruit forums, there are many South Floridians like myself growing and very familiar with Avocado varieties in there.

ill help start your search though.

as you may or may not know there are different distinct varieties of Avocado. the small black Haas you buy in the store for about 2 bucks each that are rich and oily, and the larger "Carribean types" that are less oily and larger with a greener flavor.

many people down here grow Haas types but they prefer drier climates (Mexico)

there are also varieties that are in between, these are sometimes referred to as Guatemalan types because they grow well in less arid climates but still not as well as Carribean. Guatemalan avocados are usually dark skinned and richer than large green Carribean bean types.

here is an Oasis Avocado in Davie Florida

• sour_diesel
    14 years ago

that post is confusing, lol. heres a better description from Pine Island Nursery in Homestead and a link to their huge cultivar viewer. im about an hour away but for me the trip is worth it.

The avocado is a rather unusual fruit that eats like a vegetable. In Florida's early days it was known as Alligator Pear, and it still is by many growers throughout the South. It is the only important edible fruit of the Laurel family, Lauraceae.

Botanists have classified the avocado into three groups or races: A) the West Indian, B) the Mexican, and C) the Guatemalan. In Florida we have the large smooth skinned West Indian type of avocadoes as well as hybrids of Guatemalan crossed with West Indian varieties.

California avocadoes, like Haas and Fuerte, are of the Mexican Race. They require a cool arid climate such as that found in the mountains of Mexico and the foothills of Southern California. Florida's temperature and humidity are not conducive to growing Mexican race avocadoes. This may come as a disappointment to Californians, but consumers worldwide prefer the flavor and texture of the West Indian varieties. In fact, Florida avocadoes have been dubbed the "Lean Cado" for they have half the calories and half the fat of their California counterparts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado viewer

• swrancher
    14 years ago

I live in South Florida and have a Russell Avocado tree which is a West Indian type. I hate to admit it but I much perfer eating a Hass or other Mexican type avocado, they are more creamy. If thats what you prefer then a good type of tree to plant in Florida is a Brogdan, it tastes and looks like a Mexican type avocado, black skin and very creamy good for gucamole.