Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserx_gw

Dwarf Heliconias

roserx
9 years ago

Who has the best supply of dwarf heliconias? I am looking for Dwarf Dimples, Dwarf Jamaican and Dwarf Rostrata?

Comments (12)

• lac1361
    9 years ago

i'm not familiar with Dimples. There are good sellers of heliconia on eBay that offer Dwarf Jamaican regularly. If you are going to acquire Rostrata, go ahead and buy the standard Rostrata. The only thing dwarf about Dwarf Rostrata is the bloom. It is smaller. The stalks are the same height as standard Rostrata. The inflos are much nicer on standard.

Steve

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I have 2 types of H. rostrata. One only grows to about chest height at most. The other grows above head height. I wouldn't really call the smaller one a "dwarf". My Dwarf Jamaican only gets to about knee height. That's what I'd consider "dwarf".

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the helpful replies. I attached an image file of the H stricta 'Dwarf' rostrata from Montoso Gardens in PR, but I don't think they are still in business anymore. They also list the Jamaican 'Dwarf' but not Dimples. It would be nice to buy all three from one vendor to conserve shipping costs. I really don't have the space for non-dwarf varieties.
    I do look at Ebay also.

{{gwi:2131865}}

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This image is of the dwarf Dimples.

{{gwi:2131866}}

• lac1361
    9 years ago

I looked up dimples. It's a Stricta, as is the Dwarf Jamaican. Most Strictas bloom in containers readily. If happy, they will fill your pot quickly. There is another small heliconia you should check out. Latispatha "Distans". It will bloom at 2 feet and is easy to grow in a container as well.

Steve

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve,

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, I plan to grow in pots, so I can shelter them from the cold. I believe Stokes carries Latispath Distans and they list it as a semi-dwarf, up to 5', but you must believe that 2' high in a pot would be the max. I will keep checking ebay, as I doubt I will find a supplier that carries all the dwarf varieties I want.

Glenn

• lac1361
    9 years ago

Distans can bloom at 2 feet but will grow taller as well. Mine never gets 5 feet before blooming but I container grow it as well.

Steve

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have limited space, so 2-3' max height. My big problem is finding a vendor that offers the 3 dwarf varieties.

• lac1361
    9 years ago

Aloha Tropicals in California has both the dwarf Rostrata and dwarf Jamaican. I didn't see Latispatha "Distans".

Steve

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve,

Thanks for the tip! I think I would prefer the smaller Dimples vs Distans.

Glenn

• roserx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the dwarf Jamaican is the smallest dwarf and best suited for growing in a pot.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Dwarf,doesn't mean less tropical loving. They need warm all year and humidity. I had them grow like weeds in a warm humid greenhouse and when I tried them indoors,they died off fast.
    I'm not a Heliconia keeping expert mind you...but even with decent care they hated indoors.
    For you,outdoors in z13...enjoy!..but for others who think that small makes them good indoors? Dont spend too much.

This post was edited by stanofh on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 16:45