Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango tree

Posted by HawaiiFruitGrower none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 1:46

Yes went to lowes here in Maui tonight and came back home with a florigon mango tree!!!! I was in heaven because the had just brought in a new shipment from plant it Hawaii over on the big island, there were hundreds of trees, sapote, mango, lychee, citrus, avocado, sapodilla, guava, cainito, langsat, mangosteen, and many more!!! So my question is how is the florigon? From what you guys post on here it seems like a good cultivar, it's in a 3 gallon pot, around 3 1/2ft tall and has a huge flower panicle!! I felt like I was having a fruitgasmic is in there!! Only off set was that it costed 50 dollars, but hey if you want it you will spend whatever for it!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango tree

That's a NICE looking mango tree...Congrats!!

I don't grow Florigon but below is a link I found from PIN.

Remember that taste is subjective. A good example of this is the Carrie mango, most people love them but I'm NOT a big fan and don't like the flavor (and I'm one of those that really love mangoes), so far Carrie is on my very short list of "don't like" list. I know I'm in the minority.

I'm sure you will like the florigon...you should be able to let it hold fruit in a couple of years once the tree gets a little bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery Mango Viewer...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 7:24

o

Hey thanks pulrv1!!! On the website it shows that it's a pretty good variety!! Ya unfortunately I know I will have to cut off the flowers due to the tree being to young! I wish my lowes would bring in the Hawaii varies like mapulehu or rapoza! Those are the beach hawaiii ones I've tasted!! But we will see how this tree does I'm going to grow it in a 27 gallon pot Ai hopefully it does well and fruits!!

o

HFG - I've not tasted a Florigon, but some of the floridians who grow it really like it (from what I've heard)....and it seems to be a consistent producer, too....

MD

o

Mangodog thanks for the replay! That's great that the growers in Florida like it, here in Hawaii were no used to a full orange colored mango more the purple-ish orange yellow green kind of mangos! So hopefully it taste good!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here