Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soaht

Interesting Longan cultivar from the far South East

soaht
11 years ago

I was browsing the net on the different longan varieties and came a cross something called Brazilian longan,but upon further research the correct term being used is Fijian longan. At first I thought it was the same as the Spanish lime, but the leaves were a lot bigger, long and broad. It can be found from Malaysia, Philippine, Indonesia, to Papua New guinea and the pacific Islands. What's interesting is the growing habit and when it start bearing fruit. In one of the blog I read it said that grown from seed, it will start fruiting as young as 2 years but more commonly 5. The smell is also very interesting, having similar fragrance as the durian when very ripe and having similar taste to a lychee with the texture of longan, but not as sweet and juciy like the lychee. The fruit color comes in 2 color green and a reddish brown even dark purple/black looking. Now that's is an interesting fruit I would like to get my hands on. Grown from seeds and bearing fruit with in 2 years would save so much money and time from purchasing expensive air layer and grafted trees. Does anyone know more about this longan cultivar or heard of it?

sorry not the clearest picture I could find but gives you an idea how big the fruits and leaves are

Comments (9)