Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abayomi_gw

Wish List

abayomi
13 years ago

As some of the folk here are aware, my location has very very stringent requirements for imports of live plants. Restricted locations, several testing requirements, barerooted, less than 2 years old etc. Several vendors I've contacted have gone so far as to call the requirements "protectionist". In any case, I've asked around here for nurseries outside florida willing to do nematode tests, phyto certs, export etc without luck.

A friend independently found and was able to order trees from La Verne in California with success. He got Nam Doc Mai and 3 or 4 other mangoes into the country.

A local nursery is now acting as an agent for La Verne and they asked me to put together a wish list to see what they could do.

So, for comments, here it is:

Mangoes

- Haden

- Glen

- Gold Nugget

- Valencia

- Nam Doc Mai

Cherimoya

- El Bumpo

- Honey Heart

Sapote

- Mcdill

Guava

- South African

- Red Malaysian

- China White

Persimmon

- Giant Fuyu

Comments (15)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

are those your personal favorite mangos or just a general variety?

i wouldnt plant a Haden, its such an old cultivar, Glenn is a Haden seedling that is superior in every way

i would say your missing a Dot or Carrie in your mango selection and an Indian variety like Mallika or Neelum.

what is your elevation? is it higher an more suitable for cherimoya or lowland more suitable for sugar apple?

no lychees? Jaboticaba? Jackfruit will come pretty good from seed so thats the route I would take.

• squam256
    13 years ago

On the mangoes, here are some things to consider. Everyone is different with their preferences (color/appearance isn't a big factor to me for example)

Haden - very attractive fruit in terms of color, medium size, early season (at least in Florida), good flavor with minimal fiber. Bad anthrancnose/fungus resistance though, especially if you are in a humid area. Trees get huge. Fruit is also susceptible to internal breakdown (jelly-like flesh) if you get too much rain.

Glenn - relatively small to medium size, also early season. Very good fungus resistance and production habits, fiberless flesh with a fairly mild flavor that can get a little insipid if you get too much rain. Trees are very manageable.

Gold Nugget - later season, pretty average taste in my opinion. Supposed to be fairly productive. Not sure on the tree.

Valencia Pride - later season, large fruit usually with pretty nice color, very good flavor and basically fiberless flesh. Pretty good production and moderately good fungus resistance. Trees get HUGE though and grow very fast compared to other mangoes, so take that into consideration.

Nam Doc Mai - mid-season here in FL. Very good fungus resistance and production. For a lot of people this is their favorite tasting mango, though I would describe the flavor as a little one dimensional (though still good). Silky flesh, completely fiberless. Very little color (green and yellow). Tree is pretty manageable and you should be able to keep it small.

If I could only plant ONE tree from that list, and assuming I had the space, I would probably pick Valencia Pride.

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango_kush,
    Those are the varieties listed on http://www.lavernenursery.com/ as available (less the Nam Doc which I only know because my friend secured it). (You need to click their availability list which opens a spreadsheet.)

They also list Timatoyo and Tommy Atkins.

Perhaps the South American picked too early and shipped across the world Tommy Atkins has turned me off from that tree unfairly.

So: anyone had a homegrown one of either Timatoyo or Tommy Atkins?

Seeing as they don't list Nam Doc Mai, I will also enquire as to what other unlisted items they have.

Low elevation - highest point in the country is 220 ft.

Sugar apples do ok here. Cherimoya never took off. I am trying my hand at them.

I see no lychee on their availability list nor Jaboticaba. I have several Jackfruit seedlings going.

Squam,
    That is very useful info. Anthrancnose/fungus resistance is a must here with almost constant high humidity (+90% is common) and no dry period in the year (rain fairly even at about 4 -5 inches per month). Strike out Haden.

Interesting that a Haden seedling (Glenn) ends up with good anthrancnose/fungus resistance. Early season maybe a problem for me in that old isn't an issue here but wind is.

Strong winter winds sometimes for weeks on end. Mangos don't tend to produce regularly here and there is speculation as to why. Wind damaging the flowers might be a reason. No dry period might also. Two years ago, al of a sudden trees produced in abundance all over the country (the relative few that are here). I haven't heard a persuasive reason why but it was a rare showing of productivity across the board.

So my deduction is a mid to late variety would work better. Glenn then is iffy.

Gold Nugget may pass the grade. VP sounds good.

NDM - anthrancnose/fungus resistance? I have little doubt about getting this storied one though.

As far as anthrancnose/fungus resistance, lateness, taste, are there other varieties I need to be asking them if they have?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

abayomi - I've just planted a Timoteo in October, but haven't tasted it yet.....shorter fattish leaves - different than all the other mangos I have...I'll post a pic of it soon, though I know you were asking about the flavour....

mangobeagle

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Timoteo.. that means Timothy in Spanish. It must be a Mexican cultivar, eh?

Jeff

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mangodog

sounds good!

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I have an article sent to me by LaVerne nurseries (I think) that explains it's history and the Mr. Thompson (was his name Timothy?) who created it out near Oxnard, CA or somewhere near there....i guess the only way to post it here is by taking a pic of it.....i'll try later...

mangoshepperd

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Mangojackel -

Timoteo is a sport of Keitt or Kent, one of those two. I don't know why Laverne choose this variety perhaps they are hardier for our climate....the rest of the Californian varieties e.g. Villasenor and Thompson are not well known outside the state. Maybe we could make a trip to San Diego CRFG meeting and talk to Jim Neitzel or Leo Manuel to find out the history. I'm sure they would also have some bud wood to share.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Abayomi, a lot of Haden's progeny actually have better fungus resistance than Haden (and a host of other traits as well). Valencia Pride on that list was also probably a Haden seedling.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...what an intriguing thought, jf, to mingle with some California mango royalty....

Well, here's the pic of the TimoTAYO - they spell it diff. on LaVerne's website - I guess we have to assume they know what they're selling...

mangofluffy

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again all.

Interesting how 3 of 5 on this list are likely the same progeny. After the suggestions on anthrancnose/fungus resistance I read up some more and it appears timotayo may be good for that. La Verne also lists Manila (seed grown, not grafted) which is one of the few plants I can see listed with very good anthrancnose/fungus resistance. Give the local restriction in bringing anything fresh (even supermarket fruit) from the Philippines, I may take a chance on a seed grown Manila also.

Any comments on the non-mangoes on the list?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

If it wasn't already mentioned or in your awareness, abayomi,. both Lowes and Home depot have the seedling Manila that I bought 6 years ago and is doing so splendidly (65 fruit last year!) - I think they are in 3 gallon containers and under $30 for sure - but then I don't know if they have Lowes or HD in Bermuda or what they might carry if they do.

THe Timotayo I'm not sure we're you'll get it - found mine as a take out at the Green Arrow Nursery in Sepulveda, California. Not sure if anyone in Florida carries it.

Good luck, amigo......MangoFetcher

• abayomi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks MD. Yes I note Lowes and HD sell these items but no such carriers in Bermuda. Big barriers to import. Florida banned. Nursery who trade with Florida - no can do.

The price point you mention is useful though. The local nursery has yet to give me a price but good to know Lowes and HD are buying them for probably $15. I wouldn't be surprised if the local nursery asks $150 for each tree.

65 fruits in a year sounds like heavan. How many years til first fruit?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

hmmmmmmm.....the manila? I think it was like 2 years before I had one, 3 years produced eight, 4 years like 20, 5 years had 35-40, then last year the 65......those are just rough memories of course......

geez - I wonder if it will keep doubling? I rather doubt it - I bet it will be around 90 or so this year....(yeah -from my lips to God's ears!)

TheDroolingMangoDog

• norm52
    13 years ago

Hello ,
    Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
    Ursula
    culejools@yahoo.ca

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner