Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepalm_gw

You know you're an addict when...

bluepalm
13 years ago

I just bought a commercial building to expand my business. It is an hour south of where I live and in a climate that supports mangos, lychees, etc. It's a beautiful building, very nice inside...and yet I still have one large pang of unhappiness; there is no room to plant any fruit trees outside. There is a large park behind the building and I might become a secretive "Johnny Mangoseed" and just plant out the park.

Comments (6)

• zands
    13 years ago

How about a hedge of Surinam cheries? My neighbor had some delicious ones big red and sweet...I ate some the other day.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

sucks you have such a large property at home and cant grow what you love. what was the total damage this year like? was the igloo mango a loss?

Ive ran out of room in my yard so any neighbor that owns their property has gotten mango trees as gifts throughout the year, lol.

ever think about large containers for growing dwarf mango varieties and maybe dragging them in a shed?

I wouldnt give up on lychees or longan, and would focus on growing more varieties of different tropicals that are a little more cold hardy like loquats, jaboticaba, sapodilla, peaches, pomegranate

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The "icicle" Edward mango is being dug up next week (along with a Dot mango) and moved further south to my dad's house (mangos love it there and they did fine this winter). In my yard, where I previously had my mango trees I am going to plant lychees. I do have some loquats, a mulberry, jaboticabas, and others in my yard. My lychee trees that are 3-4' tall made it through this winter (I covered them for the first cold snap) but left them uncovered when we had 1 night down to 29-30...and they are fine. I am going to plant a Bengal and a Kaimana where the mangos previously were. I'm hoping that when the lychee trees are mature they will handle 1-2 nights of 26-27 degree lows...any thoughts on this?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Blue Palm - what about using a concrete saw and cutting out a few areas in the corners or other "strategic" unused spots in the parking lot, if there is one???

I did that on the side of my house when I wanted to put in a little garden that was just concrete before.....

The addiction is hard to shake for sure - as M Kush says, maybe some in pots - hey what about those GIANT concrete pots I've seen around some commercial buildings? Too big and heavy to steal, and you wouldn't have to shuffle them inside and out? Of course, the neighbors and other critters my discover the fruit, so if you do go this way, plant some that only ripen green (as I was told when I planted one in front of my house near the side walk.....

...and don't forget to work the 12 steps!!!!!

lol.....mangoflea

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

what about a 50 gallon grow bag. you can hand truck it into a shed for winter. when the trunk gets thick enough you could probably plant it out one spring and protect its trunk the next winter.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Congrats on the business expansion Pug. While I do like the 'Joanie mango seed' approach it would be nice to have something on the property. Think how much fun you could have buying trees if they are tax right offs (decorating the business).

-Ethan