Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Mangos that fruit in winter/spring

rayandgwenn
14 years ago

I know weather/altitude etc. will affect the bloom cycle (we have a number of rainy months and then a dry season starting now). I find it very interesting when other members write about what is in fruit for them here and there, and yet mine are weeks/months behind (Harry's observations on his mango blooms were very helpful). My mangos are just starting to think about blooms.

Does anyone know any named varieties of mangos that fruit in the winter/spring? I know there must be some, since we can get mangos all year round from other islands (and out west here, someone just ate some from a tree!).

Comments (13)

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for answering. I know most of you guys are just trying to make it through those freezing nights without too much loss. I wish everyone good luck on that- I know it must be nerve wrecking watching the thermometer go lower and lower.

I was headed out to a tropical fruit tree nursery today, but they were closed. So this gives me more time to research and maybe request some things for him to get for me. A Chou-Anon will be on that list!

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

The only mangos that are fruiting (defined as having fruit on it now that is at least ping pong ball size) now for me are Rosigold, Martinez (which may very well be Rosigold or a close relative) and Edward is running right behind those. You could find Rosigold around. I think it is the best hope for March mangos. Chou Anon is still not in flower at my house.

Harry

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

Rosigold is a really good mango IMHO. I've heard mixed reviews on the Choc Anon. Good luck!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i posted my Rosigold last night, only flowers.

any mangos will be prematurely plucked anyhow.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Chou Anon is a typical SE Asian mango....yellow skin when ripe and yellow fleshed. Its nice and sweet but not complex in flavor. It is fiberless. Overall, there are better SE Asian mangos both in flavor and especially size.....what makes it a must have is the hope that it'll, one day, actually live up to the hype about its off season blooming.

• pepperseed
    14 years ago

I find this a very interesting question. I too live in SW Broward (not far from you I believe, Harry), and I have: Rosigold, Carrie, Julie, Florigon, Cogshall, Fairchild, Ice Cream, Po Puy Kalay(sp?),Nam Doc Mai, Choc-Anon and Bombay and currently the Julie is in full bloom, I have one tiny mango on the Nam Doc Mai and one on the Choc Anon. The rest - nothing. I am surprised I don't have blooms on the Rosigold as yet.
    I wonder if other factors play a part in bloom cycle - soil, watering, etc.? Hopefully with this cold weather I should see some more blooms soon.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Pepperseed:

Julie and Cogshall, of the ones you named, are also in bloom at my house. But they are not anywhere near producing mature fruit in March or even April. As to why your Rosigold hasn't bloomed.....well, there are a myriad of possible explanations, one of which, sorry to say, maybe that it is not correctly ID'ed and it is really not a Rosigold. Let's see what happens as the season progresses.

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Harry, someone from Pine Island told me the reason Chou Anon is called the miracle mango because it sometimes skips a season and sometimes fruits twice in one season.

when i picked mine out in August it was the only 3 gallon with a bloom panicle at Pine Island. i picked it because i was hoping it would be as precocious when it gets large, probably wishful thinking.

its good though because the panicle fell of after i planted it and now its focused on growing more than any of my other trees that are the same size.

how old and large is your Chou Anon? do you remember when does it usually bloom?

• dr_scifi
    14 years ago

Hi mango_kush,

I had the similar situation. I bought one for like $95.00 I think it was the 15 gallons or so. I got it from PI in 2008, and it was loaded with blooms and little mangos. got some smaller ones too that that, I think tree gallons ( Mallika, and Madame Francis.) All the mangos from the choc anon dropped, and it never bloomed again since. Infact, one mango survived, got big but an animal or someone took it since it was in front of the yard. The tree was also a slow grower. Now, all the 3 gallons I got from them.. the mallika and mandame francis has bloomed yearly and got bigger than the choc anon. That Choc anon never bloomed again. Crazy huh?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Mango Kush:

Chou Anon is not in bloom still at my house. It seems to bloom sporadically....not frequently. I really haven't noticed any difference with its general blooming season as compared to other of my mangoes. I would anticipate seeing bloom on it within the next few weeks.

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While at Walmart today, they had a "Martine" mango for $9.95. I am hoping it is a Martinez like Harry's and I get some early fruit. But I have a feeling, I won't be so lucky!

I have yet to get to the tropical fruit nursery here, so I am still looking. There are locally grown mangos on some trees and in the stores by me, so now I just have to find out what they are and get one!

• derek merrell
    2 years ago

We live in the Algarve, Portugal, and Nam Doc Mai is with flower and with small fruit. This year we ate fruit from it from mid May to mid June. Madame Francis and Kyo Savoy are also in flower but no fruit yet.