Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behlgarden

Cherimoya - Decent Size

behlgarden
12 years ago

Here is picture of the biggest cherimoya fruit in my garden. its bigger than two standard size apples. I am sure it weighs north of 1.5lb, I will take more pictures when I harvest it.

{{gwi:1304513}}From Cherimoya
{{gwi:1304515}}From Cherimoya

Comments (26)

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

That's awesome looking behlgarden!!! It's about time someone started a Cherimoya thread this year :)

Tim

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Tim, I have been looking online where I can buy these fruits and these are damn expensive. The fact is that this tree is about 20 feet tall now and is 10 years old, yet I got about 10 or so fruits on it. High winds knocked down a few and I got two that are really big.

Those who haven't tasted Cherimoya, this is the tastiest fruit out there with good balance of sweetness and tartness. The flesh is not grainy at all, not sure what kind of Cherimoya it is but it has north of 20 seeds and decent size seeds too!

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Have you tried hand pollinating? You should be getting tons more fruit than ten on a tree that size. The commercial orchards hand pollinate.

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Nice fruit! I've always liked the appearance of them, sort of like the Epcot ball??

Is a Cherimoya similar in taste to an Atis/Sweetsop?

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Beautiful Cherimoya behlgarden! I always hand pollinate my Cherimoya and get a lot of fruit. Be careful not to overdo it though because you can weaken the tree.
    Simon

• johnb51
    12 years ago

What a beauty! Cherimoya is an awesome fruit. Top five California fruits:

1. Cherimoya
    2. Peach
    3. Plum (Japanese)
    4. Persimmon (Japanese)
    5. Fig
      What are your five favorite Calfornia fruits? I also like avocadoes, apricots, white sapotes, apples from the mountain foothills, and oranges from Southern California.
  • jfernandez
    12 years ago

Here is a couple of cherimoyas from my Booth and Pierce. They are about a month and a half from harvest and weight about a 350 grams. The trees grow like weed. I've pruned them hard after their last fruits in May. They have triple their size in two years. I stop fertilizing them in July when I realize they were growing out of control. I lost 75% of my crop due to the powerful wind storms we had in the fall but I still have about 30 fruits in both trees.

look at my pierce it's right there with my Naval Orange at 15'.

Best California fruits:

Avocado
    Green Sapote
    Plums
    Peach
    Orange

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, I haven't tried hand pollinating it. Don't know how to do it. Also did not fertilize it not knowing how to fertilize such a large tree. One thing for sure is that I really have to look for it hard to find it, fruit easily disappears within leaves. I will post my atemoya over the weekend.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

great pics guys- tx

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here it is, I saw this Cherimoya's color changing a bit so I pulled it. I got scared after I saw one of my Atemoya fall and get bruise. Tell you what, Atemoya does not even come close to Cherimoya in terms of taste or texture. Atemoya had graniness. Anyway, see the size of the one I got. I found 5 more hiding behind the leaves.
    {{gwi:1304520}}From Cherimoya

Cherimoya
    {{gwi:1304521}}From Cherimoya

Atemoya

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Ahhh...that atemoya looks like the infamous (and very inferior...in my book) 48-26 aka Lisa atemoya. Try Gefner....you find the experience much more cherimoyish.

Harry

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dont not what kind it is but I inherited these trees when I bought this house. I think if fruit overripes it doesnt taste that well. Regardless, I am hooked on Cherimoya, will post picture of it when I cut it.

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

I have a tiny few on my tree (I didn't learn about proper pruning so the first few years didn't get the nice bushy growth) how do I know my fruit is ready to pick?

• ajaysr5
    12 years ago

Just picked this 2 honeyhart fruit from my tree
    this morning.

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice, dont these appear to be over riped? for some reason I found over riped fruit to have a different acidic flavor. I prefer soft to firm fruit. Again, Honeyheart may be different. I am yet to identify what kind mine is.

Anyone looking at original pictures up top, do you know what kind of Cherimoya it is?

• ajaysr5
    12 years ago

Behlgarden,no it is not yet riped. I think the
    little discolaration is from sun burn.We had
    summer like weather this winter.the fruits hidden in more foliage
    has no sun burn damage...

• newgen
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm jealous. My atemoya tree has 6 fruits, still very hard, nowhere near ripe yet. Does atemoya ripen later than cherimoya?

• behlgarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just picked up another Cherimoya weighing 1.2 lb. Careful look around the leaves I found 5-6 more and two are really giant ones, I would say at least 1.5lb or bigger.

Hi Jackfruitwhisperer69, what variety of Cherimoya's are yours? Mine that looked like yours were Atemoya's. You can tell by the texture if flesh is grainy than its probably Atemoya. My cherimoyas have no graniness at all.

• Jackfruitwhisperer69
    12 years ago

Hi Behlgarden, Here's the tree It's over 30 year's old!

I named it Rosa and it is a Cherimoya tree, No graniness, It's a firm ,smooth fruit but very juicy and not alot of seeds and they get very huge but this year I did'nt have time to thin deformed and small fruit

• eddiemunoz
    10 years ago

My cherimoyas are staying small, why????

• snuffles CA
    8 years ago

Jackfruitwhisperer69, I just noticed someone (unless this is you) selling Cherimoya tree on craigslist and using your picture. Is this you? Scroll over to the 4th pic with your hand holding the fruit.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/grd/5059420355.html

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm in the SF bay area..and I once posted a photo of a Cherimoya tree in a backyard that was taller then the house,by many feet. I took the photo from my car,and you could tell it was one big Cherimoya tree.
    Just to give you an idea of how large they can really get.

• Jason S
    8 years ago

i love your cherimoya and how is the flavor ?

• Jason S
    8 years ago

can i get a cutting if you are in Los Angeles or a seed ?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

I should say- Rosa is gigantic. I wouldnt have guessed they could grow a big single trunk. I figured they were multitrunkers. I could only see the top of the one locally.