Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Best Tropical Fruit Festival in Florida?

rayandgwenn
13 years ago

I am hoping to make a trip up to Florida this summer to catch a fruit festival. I am hoping for one with many tropical fruits, not just mangoes (since they don't do so well in my area). Would love to be able to find some of these grafted varieties of tropical fruits people rave about.

I am hoping to both mail trees home (bare rooted if necessary) or do them as carry on... any issues with USDA in the Florida airports that you can see (I never had a problem in the past, but that was with smaller plants).

Any suggestions?

Comments (9)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gwenn:

As far as I am concerned it is between the Fairchild Mango Festivalin mid July...albeit just mangoes and the Fruit and Spice Park:

Redland Summer Fruit Festival
    June 11 & 12, 2011 from 10 am to 5 pmâ¨
    Admission $8; (Children under 11 are free)â¨

This annual event showcases local agriculture and tropical fruit plants. Vendor booths featuring local wines, yummy foods, and rare fruit samplings. Sponsored by the Fruit and Spice Park.â¨

Then, of course, there is the daily fruit festival at my house and office....to which I hope you'll make an appearance.

Harry

• squam256
    13 years ago

Both the festivals Harry mentioned are great. The Redland festival is the broader of the two in terms of variety of fruit, Fairchild is basically all about mangoes (and is much more crowded). I would attend both if you can. You also get the chance to walk around both of the parks.

At the Fruit and Spice Park you can sample a lot of the fruit from within the park. Fairchild has a mango tasting area where people can vote and 'rank' the cultivars being tasted.

Both sell trees during the festival (Redland has some vendors, Fairchild sells their own), as well as fruit.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...to me the third festival Harry mentioned seems the most intriguing..... chortle chortle....

from here far away in the land of sand.....

MangoMongrel

• trini1trini
    13 years ago

If you get the chance, visit Excalibur Nursery in Lake Worth (Palm Beach County). They have many unusual trees. Many are very large but they oftentimes have 3 gallons fruit trees as well. Have fun!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Gwenn,
    I have to agree that Harry's yard is definitely a must see on your visit to FL.

What trees are you looking for? I could probably find out which nurseries have them in the area. If you do plan to visit Excalibur let me know because I work there on occasion and I could show you around the nursery.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and invites.
    I will have to get my calendar and a map of Florida and see what I can work out... watch out- I may take you up on your offers!

I have to start making a list of my wants. Every time I read on here how someone just tasted XX variety or heard that YY variety is great, I am envious.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Other than being 100 degrees with 100% humidity, how is S Florida at the mid-end of August? Are fruits still available for tasting? Do the nurseries still have a decent selection?
    I know I will miss the festivals, but trying to work around business commitments is tough.

• squam256
    13 years ago

mid/late August there are the late season mangoes like Valencia Pride, Keitt, and Palmer still available. If its a delayed season then some of the mid-season cultivars might still be available mid-August.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Gwen:

We never have the 100/100 conditions you fear in August. Now it might easily be 92 or 93 with enough humidity (85% or so) to make it feel like 100/100, but take heart that its only you feeling that way. In reality it is a balmy 93 or so. On the fruit front, there are likely to be longans. Lychees should be well over by August. There will be a relative scattering of mangoes but considerable limitations would be expected....especially this year when I think the crops will be early and not late. Get here in July if at all possible. You won't be sorry.

Harry