Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

New Year's Day 2010 Yard Update

hmhausman
14 years ago

Happy New Year to all! Here are a few new things going on in the yard.

New Goldfinger (FHIA 1) banana bloom.

Jamaican Red bananas

Papaya (not planted by me.....critter planted) growing wild and leaning over the fence into my yard.

My newly planted Bell Carambola

Close up of the Bell Carambola

Canistel (Egg fruit)

Rien Bhat Jakfruit....offseason

Tamarind

Pindo (Jelly)Palm

Comments (72)

• murahilin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My post about the canistel flavour was in response to Ethan. I dunno why I wrote 'Ronald'.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Just found old picture of where the rollinia had regrown after the Hurricane.

and shri kem carambola

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Harry ,
    the middle rollinia picture above was from seeds I had gotten in the mail, I remember it being a little more tangy in flavour than my original tree.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ronald....I think it is the level of sub acid flavor as against the creamy sweetness that distinguishes the good fruits from the oridinary or bad. I have had a bunch of these over the years which rightfully earned the nickname of "snot fruit." I have planted several of them out (all seedlings) but couldn't get them past newly planted size until my last planting. This last one is growing really well and I am hoping for fruit this year.

Harry

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Ronald, That June plum is crazy. I am assuming it must be growing through the pot into the ground?

Harry, When is Jackfruit season? I am hoping to be able to try some when I am down there buying lychees this season.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Yes it is growing through to the ground, but while they seem to decline over the years, this one keeps going as healthy as ever.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John:

The peak of jakfruit season here is in August and September. Fairchild has had what they called "Just Jakfruit" Festivals and they are usually held in September. I never logged previous fruting to be absolutely sure, but I am pretty confident that I should have some fruit at least by July....possibly earlier. We'll see what is available for you when you are planning to come. Many of the fruits stand up reasonably well to freezing. There are some jaks that lose some of their texture and some will have a taste change, but most still can give you a pretty good idea of what the flesh tastes like. Fresh is still the best, but if for some reason your timing is off, I'll try to keep some for you frozen so you can at least say you tried it. At these Fairchild Festivals, much of the fruit to be tatsed (even at the Mango Festival) has been frozen. There is no other way you can have all the necessary fruit available for the throngs of people. Canned jakfruit (in syrup) is not good. Kind of like eating canned fruit cocktail and saying it is similar to the fresh fruits. You can buy the green unripe jakfruit canned in brine. It is used as a vegetable at this stage and is pretty useable since it is going to be cooked anyway.

Harry

• pepperot
    14 years ago

If you live in central fl, last season the orlando asian markets had ripe jackfruits for sale from end of may through september. They're very easy to spot when in season since they take up so much retail space :)

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

ronald123 i hear june plum cant actually fruit itself to death! it looks loaded, do you cull fruit from it often?

your rollinia tree was completely blown dow to the ground and now the limbs are growing vertical, how cool. i wonder if it will try to correct itself as it gets bigger or root from the trunk thats against the ground.

your rollinia looks alot like a soursop, maybe they were hybridized? i bought my Rollina from top, wonder what the fruit will look like.

Harry i always wondered how Fairchild had all those varieties of mangos ripe at one time, makes sense now. last year our mango season came really early and they still held it in July

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Yes I have seen them fruit them selves to death, even the one in the picture we will try to thin the fruit, but as soon as you cut a bunch or panicle it simply sprouts another one near to where was cut.
    I don't think the rollinia will root from the truck, just my feeling on looking at the area touching the ground, this is the most healthy it has been since the blow over.

• dghays
    14 years ago

Ronald, thanks for the pic, I'm glad that cutting is going good, that variety tastes excellent, like strawberry kiwi. Sainarong gave me a pic of it growing in Thailand also, kind of cool. I picked a canistel the other day from my first crop, the tree is similar in size to yours. I keep topping it and it's getting nice and wide in canopy. A crop of only 8 or so fruit, still waiting for it to ripen on the counter. To me, canistel, mamey and green sapote all taste similar to pumpkin pie. I love them all and have one of each and two canistels. The key for optimal taste is it getting fairly soft, and the tastiest part is right around the seeds. I tasted canistel-nog, and it was great. I wonder if a canistel pie would out-class pumpkin pie?

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Gary,
    I had actually gotten two from you, physical grafitti and american beauty.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

That's too bad about the Jackfruit season. Hopefully there may be a few around that ripen a bit early. I guess it's possible that one of mine may fruit this year. I have a Gold Nugget that is about a 6' bush with a pretty thick trunk, and the Bangkok lemon is about 6' tall but growing more like a tree. I am guessing I still have another year but I can dream I guess. They all have really been growing great since I put the greenhouse up around them this fall even with the cooler temps. They are actually growing much better no than they were in the summer. I think I am going to graft a few more in the next few weeks. The jackfruit are one of the few plants aside from peaches (which seem almost impossible even for me to screw up) that I have had really good luck on the grafting. I still can't graft a mango to save my life but I get about 75% takes on the Jacks.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John:

What are cultivar of jakfruit are you grafting? And, what kind of graft are you doing?

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

john thats interesting to know jackfruit graft easily, i wonder if its possible to graft other autocarpus like kwai muk onto jackfruit? that would be wild.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Jsvand, did the bangkok lemon cuttings I sent you a while back work?

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Harry, I just do normal clefts and wrap them very tight. Sometimes I even use a zip tie to really tighten it. I take off the zip tie after about a month to prevent girdling. The zip tie is probably not needed but it works for me. I am grafting Bangkok lemon, and Gold nugget onto Black gold seedlings. I just do it when the seedlings are in the middle of a growth flush and when the scions look like they are getting close to pushing new growth.

murahilin, I struck out with the cuttings you sent. I think it was due to me just not knowing what I was doing yet. I had a few that stayed green for a couple weeks but then went downhill. I ended up driving down to Excalibur and picking up a nice sized 3 gal tree.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Jsvand,
    Was the three gallon that you got grafted? They had a tendency to not graft a lot of their bangkok lemons saying that it will come true to seed. I dont know how true that is though. They had a bunch of 1 gallon seedling bangkok lemons for $5 a while back.

mangokush,
    Have you gotten a chance to try kwai muk? I find it better tasting than most jackfruit.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a fairly large Kwai Muk tree. It has fruited now for 3 years straight. I wouldn't compare the fruit to jakfruit. To me it is more fig-like. I find them tasty, but not as dramatic, to me, as jakfruit.

• red_sea_me
    14 years ago

Harry, do you also have tarap, pedalai, chempedak or any of the other artocarpus?

I've been daydreaming about coming out to FL but cant decide between mango season or jak season? Pretty amazing selection of jaks you have.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Murahilin, Yes it is grafted. At least I think so. I think I can see the graft union but it looks very well healed. Now you have me a bit worried and I am going to have to go out at 1:30am in 28 degree weather to look. I'll be pretty pissed if it's not.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

no i have not tried kwai muk, makes sense they are fig like, they are in the same family.

it would be neat to have a tree with two very distinct fruit on it, once my jackfruit gets some girth on it i may give it a try.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ethan:

I have planted seeds from all of those at one time or another. Unfortunately, they have all succumb to the elements long ago. Admitedly, knowing now what I know, it was basically my fault they didn't do better than they did. I didn't understand their requirements. I was pretty ignorant back then.

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Harry, do you know of any Marang or Tarap specimens down here?

i brought my small seeded breadfruit seedlings inside, im going to try to put them in the ground next spring and hopefully they will be able to survive next winter with some wind protection wrapped around them.

i hope i can get them to grow, i love the leaves on these giant Artocarpus trees. only two of the twelve seeds i bought made it, most of them sprouted but wilted dead shortly after, i think my soil may have been too heavy. im pretty amateur at nursing tender seedlings still.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

mango kush,
    I think there is a marang tree at the F&S Park. I dont know anywhere that has a large tarap tree though. Is your seeded breadfruit A. altilis or is it the breadnut (A. camansi)?

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

im not sure, i got them from Sadhu, his site lists Artocarpus altilis.

whats the difference?

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

n/m found a good link

Here is a link that might be useful: Artocarpus altilis : Artocarpus camansi : Artocarpus mariannensis

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mango Kush:

Sorry, I don't know of any. I supposed if anyone has it, it would be Fairchild Gardens.

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

the pictures of pedalai and marang on tops site show the Whitman pavillion at Fairchild

pedalai
    {{gwi:1304601}}

marang
    {{gwi:1304602}}

both indoors, i wonder how cold sensitive they really are and if its even possible to have a permanent outdoor specimen here

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Malay Apple is probably about 15 years old. It began flowering at about 10 years before the hurricane took its toll. It was about 12 feet high when it started flowering. It is about 18 feet high now. There is apparently wide variation in the leaf size in these. My tree's leaves are about twice the size of my neighbors. It will be interesting to comapre the fruits one day. Here's a picture before the leaves drop later this week when we get temps in the 30's.

The leaves are very large

• ronald123
    14 years ago

harry , those malay apple leaves are huge, much larger than any I have seen out here.
    12 feet sounds about right for when they first start flowering here also.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Harry,
    Very nice looking malay apple tree. I cant wait till mine gets that large. Remember to send me an invite once you get some of the fruit from that tree.
    How large are your kwai muk fruit? Are they more sour or sweet?

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

awesome pics gents

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sheehan:

My Kwai Muk fruit are about ping pong ball sized. The taste is a balance of sweet with a nice sub acid tartness. I thought the fruit were quite good. I've only shared them thus far with one friend. He refrigerated them and ate them a few days after I gave them to him. The fruits do seem to lose some of their flavor with refrigeration.

You are on the list for Malay Apple fruit when they come along hopefully later this year. If I rememebr correctly, they bloomed in the spring....but I am not positive.

Harry

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Harry,
    Thanks for adding me to the list.

That size is about the size of the fruit from the tree at Excalibur. The fruit tasted like how you described. I remember seeing a pic once of a fruit from Adolf Grimal's property in the Keys with very large kwai muk fruit. I wonder how if its possible to get budwood from that tree.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Murahilin, I checked last night. Luckily Bangkok lemon is definitely grafted. I am not sure what you would call it, but it looks like they did a kind of reverse cleft graft.

• yaslan
    14 years ago

I love all your beautiful photos and am envious that your climate allows for you to grow these beauties!

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

Harry,
    Those are beautiful trees. Thanks for sharing your pics!

• ronald123
    14 years ago

the rats got to the bananas first.

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

You know, happens all the time! Just cut them and wash the unopened ones before eating.
    All of God's creatures got to eat....of course the rats like the best stuff!

• ronald123
    14 years ago

laterifolia flower, male unfortuately.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nice picture Ronald. This is one I am unfamiliar with. I found this picture on the internet.....they are calling it Rheedia laterifolia. Is it the same?

{{gwi:2100889}}

• ch3rri
    14 years ago

Aww...what kind of fruit is this? They look so yummy!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

Rheedia laterifolia is in the Garcinia (mangosteen) family.

the Garcinia family has confusing names and are very commonly misnamed.

i have Garcinia Laterifolia. its probably the easiest to grow in the Garcinia family, i read it grows wild in Brazil. it is also called Lemon Drop Mangosteen or Achachairu.
    {{gwi:1304609}}

there are several varieties of Garcinias, i know there are two distinct fruit that are both called Madruno. in Australia they commercially grow achachairu (picture above) but call it achacha, which is wrong because Achacha is another different fruit.

to make it more confusing various sources disagree on the correct species and genus names.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

Yes from my long painful research I found that that is the fruit. I was confused because I couldn't find a flower that looked like mine, only to realise after years of blooms that mine was a male tree. :( Nice looking tree but its days are numbered if I can't graft something else on it or if something better needs its land space.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i didnt know G. Laterifolia was diocesous.

how large is the tree? i would keep it and find a female.

i wanted to try growing button mangosteen, Cherapu, but thats diocesous as well.

• ronald123
    14 years ago

The tree is over 12 feet tall. Now normally I would do what you suggest and source a female tree to put with it, however I asume the tree is like other garcinia relatives that don't really polinate each other anyway. (like the true mangosteen) So if I am right nature really pruduced a needless tree as it cannot produce fruit or pollinate others. This would be why the mangosteen is true from seed as the fruit is formed sans polination.

If my conclusions are incurrect please chime in and currect me.
    Ronald

• ronald123
    14 years ago

ahh just found an old picture.

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Mangokush,
    Most garcinias are dioecious.